Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you watch a rental in airplane mode

iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 3:27 PM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2012 3:33 PM in response to Pomp79

Welcome to the Apple community.

From my own personal experience, I have found that when I turn off the Wi-Fi on my Wi-Fi only iPad, I am still able to play rented movies on it. I have tried this perhaps four or five times and in each case, this has been the result. I have also noted that other users have had the same experience as I.

However saying that I have noted a small number of users that have stated they are unable to view rented movies without an Internet connection. This knowledge base article from Apple, also suggests that an Internet connection is required.

Nov 28, 2013 8:30 AM in response to Pomp79

Hi, I'm having the same issues. I am also having similar issues with my iphone podcasts. I can watch them when there is internet connection, but not if I am in airplane mode. I've wasted a lot of money on this since I bought them to watch as I travel and they don't work. Shows expired and then works when I'm at home on internet. I have tried the video app - that is the issue. the App isn't working either like before 7.0 upgrades.

Does anyone have a solution for this? It's very frustrating.

Mar 5, 2014 2:07 PM in response to Pomp79

Please be aware of the movie rental's time limitation that you have 30 days from the time of rental to watch your movie, and once you start watching it, you have 24 hours to finish watching it. You may watch it as many times as you like during those 24 hours. It may be helpful to make sure the download completes successfully before you begin watching the movie.

Once the download is complete you can watch it without an Internet connection. However, an Internet connection to the iTunes Store is required to authorize playback or activate the 24 hours time-limit of movie rentals. This means, only during the starting of the movie. Once you have started playing the movie rental, internet connection is not required. You can play anywhere without internet connection.

You may need to validate the rental prior to watching so it starts the rental period timer and for that you will need an internet connection. You can probably do that by starting the rented movie while on the Airport Wifi or right before leaving home. You'll have 24 hours to watch the movie after you start it.

For more information on movie rentals, you can visit:

iTunes Store: Movie rental frequently asked questions (FAQ)

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1657

Note: 24 hours time limit is for United States customer only, while 48 hours for other countries.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.