Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why does my ipod show 27GB of "Other"

I only store music and related artwork on my iPod Classic. 2 days ago I had 13 GB of unfilled capacity. Suddenly I have 27 GB of other and am 22.9GB over capacity. I check Convert Higher Bit Rate Songs to 128kbps and don't load any videos. I select Playlists carefully. Any clues about what's happening?

iPod classic, Windows 7, Dell XPS8500

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 5:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 8:27 PM

Hopefully your iPod Hardisk is still in good condition.

Most probably it is due to a sync timeout, which does not finalise the iPod filesystem causing the corruption.

You need to Restore the iPod, in effect erasing the whole iPod, then sync it again.

Do theDisk Diagnostic as posted earlier by tt2, it wont fix your problem but helps in troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, the timeout and corruption will happen again, unless whenever you are doing an Ipod Classic sync.

1. Disconnect all other USB devices
  2. Dont connect the iPod to a USB Hub
  3. Disconnect the Internet
  4. Stop all antivirus program.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2012 8:27 PM in response to MHLEV

Hopefully your iPod Hardisk is still in good condition.

Most probably it is due to a sync timeout, which does not finalise the iPod filesystem causing the corruption.

You need to Restore the iPod, in effect erasing the whole iPod, then sync it again.

Do theDisk Diagnostic as posted earlier by tt2, it wont fix your problem but helps in troubleshooting.

Unfortunately, the timeout and corruption will happen again, unless whenever you are doing an Ipod Classic sync.

1. Disconnect all other USB devices
  2. Dont connect the iPod to a USB Hub
  3. Disconnect the Internet
  4. Stop all antivirus program.

Jul 22, 2012 12:56 AM in response to MHLEV

"Other" is the measure of used space on the iPod not taken up by Audio, Video & Photos. This includes the iPod's library and artwork plus any files you may have copied to your iPod in disk mode. The overhead for the library & artwork data is typically 1-2% of the size of the media, e.g. for 1Gb of Audio & Video expect to have around 15mb of "Other". This information is needed for the iPod's operation and cannot be removed.

If you have significantly larger amounts of "Other", not related to files you've intentionally placed on the iPod, then these are probably disconnected copies of your media files or iPod libraries left over from failed sync operations. The only way to recover the space is to do a full restore.

If you have copies of all your media in your iTunes library this isn't a problem, but if you've been manually managing the content then you might need to try to recover the files from it first. See Recovering your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device for more information.

Note restoring should clear all files from the iPod's drive however sometimes it doesn't actually seem to work. Options include manually deleting all visible & hidden files & folders via Explorer/Finder or formatting the drive.

When repopulating the drive you may find breaking the process up into smaller stages makes it less likely to fail.

Break up large transfers

In iTunes select the menu item File... New Smart Playlist. Change the first drop-down box to Playlist, the next to is and the next to Music or whatever playlist holds the bulk of the content you want on your device. Tick against Limit to, type in say 10, then change the drop-down to GB, and set the last drop-down to artist. When you click OKyou can enter a name for the playlist, e.g. Transfer. Now sync this playlist to your iPod rather than your entire library. When the sync is complete modify the rule (File... Edit playlist) to increase the size by your chosen amount, then sync and repeat. You can experiment with different size increments, if it doesn't work just choose something a bit smaller until it works each time. Before long you should have all your music on your iPod. Once that's done you can move on to other media such as podcasts, videos, photos, playlists etc.

There are also a couple of threads I've seen lately that suggest there might be a memory leak with some iTunes builds where the space for certain files that are removed from the device, such as expired podcasts, is not being returned to the filing system. I have not however confirmed the observation myself and there may well be other causes such as AV software holding up the timely transfer of files.

tt2

Jul 29, 2012 4:18 PM in response to Bilbo_cheshire

Thank you for the responses. I haven't worked on this in a while, but there is more info to share. The large amount of "other" showing on my iPod only happened during a complete restore of my iPod, which had frozen and would not reboot. I formatted the drive in Windows and reloaded my library, which is a large one. After this restore, I got error messages stating that more than 100 songs in my library couldn't be found. This may have happened when I transported it from my old PC to my new PC in June, but at the time I thought the origin and destination folderswere of the same size. Maybe some files were missed and I didn't notice, but I'm usually careful about such transfers. Beyond this, now iTunes won't export the Music playlist - it freezes and I have to end the process in the Task Manager. Could a sync have the effect of corrupting my library? I think the .itl file is ok, but I am nervous about losing my 250+ playlists.

Dec 20, 2013 12:21 PM in response to MHLEV

I had this same issue with my iPhone 5 iOS 7. Had to restart both itunes and phone completely, and managed to get one backup again before the connection was lost to the phone. Restarted iTunes again and the "Other" over capacity data was no longer showing. Able to synch OK using lightning cable, WIfiSynch just hopeless.

why does my ipod show 27GB of "Other"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.