Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sender keeps trying to send word doc but all I get is winmail.dat file which is garbage. Why?

Sender claimed it was sent as a .doc, PDF and RTF file attachments but all I got was a single winmail.dat file.

Suggestions are welcome. Have talked with ISP and they don't understand it either......

Guy from the same company gets the attachment to me OK.

THANKS in advance.

Power Mac G5 (June 2004), Mac OS X (10.5.8), Same problem on my iPad

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 8:04 PM

4 replies

Oct 17, 2014 8:39 AM in response to Downhilldude0

Hi

This will help.

The person that is sending you emails, has chosen in Outlook, to use the RTF format, for emailing and or specifically for emailing you. Perhaps this is default Outlook behavior at times.

This results in the winmail.dat file, which is the RTF format, of the attachments that were intended for you.

If the user would configure Outlook, to use the HTML (web) format, for emails, then you would receive the attachments as intended. As well as anybody else.

Apple mail and other mail systems, do not understand the RTF (rich text) format, and probably have to pay Microsoft licensing fees, to be able to use this format.

The options, for setting this in Outlook, differ for different versions of Outlook, but are found generally under

Tools > Address book, for setting a specific person to , use HTML format, and not RTF format, that persons email.

Also, under "Tools" > "Options", > "Mail format", for setting that all emails, will use the HTML format, instead of the RTF format.

More info

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

Sender keeps trying to send word doc but all I get is winmail.dat file which is garbage. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.