Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wondering about using my macbook air as my ONLY computer

I recently purchased the 68 gb macbook air and was considering getting rid of my imac desktop using this as my primary/only computer. I want to downsize in my apartment. I called the Apple store that just opened by me and asked about workshops and mentioned this to the person on the phone. I wasn't sure how this would work with such a small drive even with an external harddrive, and he told me I could get a wireless harddrive and use that. Here's my question. I'm a little fuzzy on the logistics. If I get say Airport express can I use that to load and run apps from? It would also probably help with the issue I'm having with my wifi router from my provider (only provides WEP security).

Any advice would be much appreciated. I have a huge computer armoire but if this works, I can get rid of it and keep the macbook air, the WONDERFUL airprint printer I bought for $49 (epson small in one) and get more space freed up.

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.2)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 7:30 PM

16 replies

Jul 17, 2012 8:11 PM in response to JoanneD

Sure, a MacBook Air with Time Capsule sounds easily self sufficient. Yes, WPA2 security works with Time Capsule.

Here's the concern I would have: your MacBook Air is a 68GB machine, which, to me, means it's far from a current model. I suspect it's likely that Mountain Lion, which will arrive next week, will support your AIr.

Aside from that, you're good to go.

Jul 18, 2012 4:22 PM in response to sberman

Sigh. How sad is it that the device is only 8 weeks old and already a generation behind!!!! 😢

I purchased the superdrive with it. I've been using macs for almost 20 years and never owned a pc (but ironically I do pc tech support for living!). Going to the Apple store in 2 weeks to get what help/gear I need.

Jul 19, 2012 11:12 AM in response to sberman

I know about mac rumors. It was quite honestly an impulse purchase. And what's worse -- they just opened an apple store 5 minutes from my house! I am actually planning to get over and get time capsule and another apple tv for the living room. Then there shouldn't be anything left for me to buy (smile). Plus, my job is trying to get more folks conversant with mac and apple products on the support side because so may of our employees use macs at home and we are the help desk/tech support group. I'm already there!

Jul 19, 2012 11:41 AM in response to JoanneD

Don't worry JoanneD... you dont' have an "old" machine. Your SSD should be 64GB (not 68GB) which is still an option on the most current 11" model. If you have a 13" model, you may have the last gen. I'm not exactly sure when the current models were released, but it would have been around the time you purchased your machine. If you have a 13", it is definately a last gen as they're no longer offered with a 64GB drive. If you click on the Apple logo on the top left of your display... and then select About this Mac and let us know the info there, we can let you know for sure.

If you have the last gen, it's not a major issue. So far as performance goes, the biggest difference is with the graphics. If you use programs that rely heavily on graphics, you might notice an improvement on the newer model. Other than that, performance is similar.

Jul 19, 2012 2:50 PM in response to JoanneD

I basically agree with JoeyR's response. Since JoanneD said she purchased her machine 8 weeks ago and the newest Airs were released on June 11, her machine must be one generation old, which, as JoeyR says, is certainly not a big deal. To baseline, my 13" Air, which is the latest generation, shows up as MacBook Air (5,2) in the "About this Mac ... More Info ... System Report".

Jul 20, 2012 5:06 AM in response to JoanneD

Your laptop is quite sufficient to be a primary computer for routine use. I have an Air and use a WD "My Book Live" HDD attached to my router. It was easy to set up - just plug it in and turn it on. Your laptop will find it almost immediately and it's ready to use. You can also use it with time machine for auto backups. I've never used time capsule, but I do know the WD My Book Live is designed for primary storage - and as it's attached to your router, any computer you allow on your network can be granted access for file sharing. This type of drive also has the option to allow access from the internet - if you set this feature up, you access all your files no matter where you're at as long as you can connect to the i'net.

Wondering about using my macbook air as my ONLY computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.