Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VoiceOver Button Not Functioning

I just purchased my first (possibly last!) Apple product. This 4th Gen shuffle will not advance to the desired playlist when I press VoiceOver and the Play/Pause button. After I attempt, then the VoiceOver button stops working altogether. I'm ready to return it!😠

iPod shuffle, Windows Vista

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 10:25 PM

2 replies

Jul 18, 2012 12:15 AM in response to frebusmaxwell

You should visit the Genius Bar before you return it, if you have an Apple Store nearby. You can make a reservation on the store's web page.

http://www.apple.com/retail/

Then, you can return it right there (assuming you bought from Apple directly), if you desire. OR, they might fix the problem. OR, if there is a defect in the shuffle that you got, you can get a replacement.

Within the first 90 days after purchase, you can also contact Apple's tech support by phone. Go to the Contact Us link at the bottom right corner of this web page.

If you want to try something right now, connect the shuffle to your computer and run iTunes. Select the shuffle in the iTunes sidebar, under DEVICES. Over to the right, go to the Summary tab. There is a Restore button there. It will erase the shuffle, reinstall its software, and set it to default settings. If there was a software or settings glitch causing this problem, that may fix it.

FYI - To make VoiceOver go through the playlists, you need to press and hold the VoiceOver button. This document has detailed information about using VoiceOver on the 4th gen shuffle

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4322

Jul 18, 2012 2:59 AM in response to frebusmaxwell

Thank you for your super-fast response! Yes, I did read the instructions on how to make Voiceover go through the playlists. The shuffle worked fine when I first got it last week.

What's frustrating is that I spent literally hours reading reviews of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Generation shuffles before taking the leap to Apple. (If not for the higher price, I was seriously considering purchasing a 2nd Generation on Amazon.) When I got it, I went through and painstakingly added specific podcasts to the playlist in addition to songs.

Unfortunately, I am not close to an Apple store. The stores within a considerable driving distance have awful reviews for customer service so I'm not willing to make the drive.

I'm so disappointed ...I was looking forward to using it during my workouts. I had read about how tiny it is, and how operating the clip can interfere with the front buttons. That turns out to be a bigger annoyance than I had thought.

So I am returning my Shuffle with a big sigh of disappointment, and will put more hours of research into an MP3 player.

Thanks again for your answer. I'm just not willing to put any more effort into a product I had hoped (considering the price and Apple's reputation) to work right out of the box, with no glitches..

VoiceOver Button Not Functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.