Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why Can I Not See Clone and Retouch Effects?

Hello out there!

I have newly installed Aperture 3.3.1 on my Macbook Pro OSX 10.7.4 running Lion, also newly installed.

My previous version of Aperture 2.? clone and retouch buttons suddenly stopped working months ago and never did start again - I have trashed Aperture 2.

Aperture 3 clone and retouch tools also don't work. When I try to use either tool, they appear to work, but no change is visible. Each try adds a stroke in the adjustment pane, but I can't see the changes.

I may have read somewhere in these discussions, but I can't find it again now, someone's tip to rebuild the library?

Anyone have any thoughts? Greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2012 10:12 PM

Apple's official Aperture trouble-shooting page is here. Rebuilding is a good practice (imho), but many UI issues are resolved by deleting the prefs file (Aperture will create a new one).

8 replies

Jul 17, 2012 11:13 PM in response to beepeegee

Kirby's advice should work, if you open the correct library: You are looking at the system library /Library/Preferences, not at your user library.

In Mac OS X Lion your User Library is hidden by default.

You can access it by using the Finder's "Go" menu from the Finder's main menu bar.

• Select the "Go" menu entry and hold down the "alt/option" key ⌥, until the library appears in the drop down menu.
  • Select and click "Library".
  • In the window that opens select the "Preferences" folder, and then move the file "com.apple.Aperture.plist" to the Desktop, like Kirby suggested.

Make sure, you quit Aperture properly, before you move the preference file. Im Mac OS X Lion new process system (automatic termination) the only safe way to ensure that an application really quits is to log off and on again.

Then it should work, like Kirby Krieger suggested. And please let us know, if this brought back your clone brushes.

Regards

Léonie

P.S. If you want to make your user library permanently accessible again, drag the folder to the Finder's sidebar or change the hidden flag to "nohidden" using the Terminal:

Open a terminal window and enter:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Then hit return.

Why Can I Not See Clone and Retouch Effects?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.