Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal keeps updating

After cleaning up a lot of old duplicate events in iCal on my Mac (I GUESS, thats what started the problem...), the application keeps saying "Updating", in the top of the window. The Mac doesn't show changes made on iPhone or iPad.

I've tried quitting iCal (and restarting the Mac), selecting offline and the online again, but nothing seems to have an effect.

Any ideas, anyone?

(The duplicate events is an old thing -nothing duplicates itself now. So duplication is not the problem.)

=)

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:02 AM

Ole,

Try removing the com.apple.iCal.plist file from your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder. To find that Library folder, use Finder>Go Menu>Depress the "Option" key>Library. Drag the .plist file to your desktop, and log out/in or restart.

Next, make sure that you are not connected to the internet. Then go to your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder and remove any files with "Cache" as a part of the file name. Use the same method as listed above to get to the correct Library Folder. Log out/in, or restart and check iCal for functionality.

User uploaded file

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2012 7:02 AM in response to Ole_S

Ole,

Try removing the com.apple.iCal.plist file from your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences Folder. To find that Library folder, use Finder>Go Menu>Depress the "Option" key>Library. Drag the .plist file to your desktop, and log out/in or restart.

Next, make sure that you are not connected to the internet. Then go to your Macintosh HD/Users/yourusername/Library/Calendars Folder and remove any files with "Cache" as a part of the file name. Use the same method as listed above to get to the correct Library Folder. Log out/in, or restart and check iCal for functionality.

User uploaded file

Nov 17, 2012 5:50 PM in response to Ferd II

I am having the same problem with iCal continually "Updating....." And I was also having the problem with it not syncing events from my iPhone. Do I have to update my phone to iOS 6? Will that solve the continual updating problem?

If not, please describe in more detail how to find the "the com.apple.iCal.plist file " as mentioned in the answer above. I cannot find one with that name in my library unless it is buried in a folder, and I am quite nervous to start moving things and deleting caches without knowing for sure how to do it.

Thanks.

Nov 18, 2012 7:25 AM in response to TMMNJ

TMMNJ,

Since this is a solved thread, I recommend that you start your very own thread. Be sure to provide a complete description of your hardware/sofware setup. So far all you have explained is that your iPhone is not using iOS 6. Also provide the syncing method that you are attempting to use, and the steps that you have already taken in trying to troubleshoot your problem.

User uploaded file

May 7, 2014 5:37 AM in response to Ferd II

I am having the same issue, calender is stuck updating and wont sync. I have tried to follow the solution mentioned earlier by you, but cant seem to find the right files. I am running OS X 10.7.5. Can you please help as it is very frustrating. Please can you give me basic instructions as I am not that good with a MAC. Cheers, Andy

iCal keeps updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.