Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac isn't shutting down properly and I get the spinning beach ball in the midst of several programs after being able to use them for awhile, including iPhoto, iTunes, Safari, Word, etc. And Time Machine not backing up properly.

I'm having all sorts of problems with my iMac. Constant spinning beach balls as various programs hang (including Safari, iPhoto, Word, iTunes). I click on dock icons and the program fails to launch. Time Machine is not backing up properly. And to shut down the machine I have to press the power button. All this said, the machine is usable until one of these problems pops up. which happens all-too-frequently. I ran Disk Utility to repair permissions but that doesn't seem to have resolved my issue.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:05 AM

2 replies

Jul 18, 2012 11:26 AM in response to EddieSr

First, back up all data immediately, as your boot drive may be failing.

If iCloud is enabled, disable it.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except keyboard, mouse, and monitor, if applicable. Launch the usual set of applications you use when you notice the problem.

Step 1

Launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Activity Monitor in the page that opens.

Select the CPU tab of the Activity Monitor window.

Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected.

Click the heading of the % CPU column in the process table to sort the entries by CPU usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Also post the values for % User, % System, and % Idle at the bottom of the window.

Select the System Memory tab. What values are shown in the bottom part of the window for Page outs and Swap used?

Step 2

You must be logged in as an administrator to carry out this step.

Launch the Console application in the same way as above. Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Post the 50 or so most recent messages in the log — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Important: Some personal information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Edit it out before posting.

My iMac isn't shutting down properly and I get the spinning beach ball in the midst of several programs after being able to use them for awhile, including iPhoto, iTunes, Safari, Word, etc. And Time Machine not backing up properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.