Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my MacBook install new software updates?

When I click on Software Update it says "Install 11 items." Among them are iTunes 10.6.3, Safari, Garage Band Update, iPhoto Update and so on.

When I click "Install 11 Items" it doesn't install anything. It says I must restart my computer to finish installation. So, I restart. Afterwards it asks for my password, I figure for installations.

But nothing is changed, and when I click updates I get the same 11 program updates. This has happened at least seven times in the past seven tries.

Plus, my battery is stuck. It won't come out of the computer. Though the abve issue is most troubling.

Thanks.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 11:50 AM

5 replies

Jul 18, 2012 4:28 PM in response to Andycomp

Thank you for your help. Manually downloading worked for both. Although, that leaves me wondering why I cannot do what always worked. Is my computer frtizing out? As I said, the battery is stuck too.

I still have to Install 10 items. While Safari downloaded I cannot Install because I have OSX 10.6.8 and I was told I need 10.7.

Is there a way to download and Install that or do I need to purchase something?

Furthermore, where do I find the Security Update 2012-002 or the Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 9?

I really appreciate your assistance, tho I would hope the computer Installed as it has always done.

Jul 18, 2012 4:51 PM in response to Andycomp

Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion) is a purchased product, you can get it from the Mac app store. If your MacBook can support it though you may want to wait and purchase Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) which will become available sometime later this month. It will also be a purchase, but it is not necessary to get Lion first, and it is going to be $20 rather than the $30 for Lion. You can find out if your MacBook will run it on this page.

That security update can be found here. The Java update is available here. You can search for other updates on this page.

I don't know why the installer is not performing as it should. It is highly unlikely that the battery has anything to do with your installation issues.

Best of luck.

Why won't my MacBook install new software updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.