Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are Mac App downloads so slow?

Here it is noon on a Wednesday in Phoenix and Speedtest.net says I have a 30Mb download rate. Yet I'm downloading a copy of iMovie to my MacBook at a rate of 200 Kb (with a K) and it will take 2 hours if it stays up.

Why such pokey download rates from the Apple Cloud? I thought they had a new datacenter?

Mac Pro 2x3 Dual Core 4G - MacBook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo - 8G iPhone, Mac OS X (10.5.2)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 12:09 PM

7 replies

Jul 18, 2012 1:18 PM in response to Robert Breeding1

Robert..

Apps downloaded from the App Store have nothing to do with iCloud. iCloud is for the most part syncing and storage.

I'm not having any issues with download speeds on the App Store.

If you haven't tried, restart your Mac and see if that makes a difference.

The iMovie file size is 1.26GB. With a 30Mbps download speed, that shouldn't take more than a few minutes.

If you have anti virus software installed, disable that.

And try turning off the Firewall in Sytem Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall

Apps such as Little Snitch can interfere with downloads.

Jul 18, 2012 1:47 PM in response to Robert Breeding1

Indeed, something is wrong in the Apple network.

I'm on a 80Mbit connection and I'm trying to download Logic Pro sample packs on a mac and I'm mostly getting Kbps. I've reset the DL process a few times and if I'm lucky I occasionally get "normal" bandwidth. It's been like this on and off for the last few days. On my iPad and iPhone it's also taking a long time to DL small apps.

Oct 4, 2012 12:13 PM in response to Robert Breeding1

Consistently slow downloads for any App Store software updates. I have Comcast maximum speed home internet, other services are very fast, and App Store software updates always are at a crawl. If I quit and restart my Mac Book Air (10.8.2), the downloads start all over again - they do not pick up where they left off.

This is an Apple issue, not a local environment issue.

Why are Mac App downloads so slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.