Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mail wants to use the "login" keychain

I have recently upgraded my macbook pro to the next gen mac book pro. When starting up my new computer i tranfered all of the info from my old mac to my new mac via the welcome screen that appears when starting up a new mac for the first time. After this, a problem is occuring in mail. Everytime I open mail after i restart my computer, a window appears and asks the question 'Mail wants to us the "pattygeorge" keychain". I cannot stop this no mater what i try. What I found is that the new computer has shortname that differs from my old computer shortname i.e. patgeorge (new) vs. pattygeorge(old). Is this what is causing the problem? Please help me remedy this

Mac OS X (10.7.1), Mac Book Pro

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 1:36 PM

6 replies

Jul 18, 2012 2:08 PM in response to Jim George

Back up all data.

Launch the Keychain Access application in any of the following ways:

Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

If you’re running OS X 10.7 or later, open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Keychain Access in the page that opens.

Select the keychain from the list on the left side of the Keychain Access window.

If the lock icon in the top left corner of the window shows that the keychain is locked, click to unlock it. You'll be prompted for the keychain password, which is the same as your login password, unless you've changed it.

Right-click or control-click the entry in the list. From the menu that pops up, select Change Settings for Keychain... In the sheet that opens, uncheck both boxes, if not already unchecked.

From the menu bar, select Keychain Access Preferences First Aid. If the box labeled Keep ... keychain unlocked is not checked, check it.

Select Keychain Access Keychain First Aid from the menu bar and repair the keychain. Quit Keychain Access.

mail wants to use the "login" keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.