Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I prevent iWeb from stripping EXIF data?

I have done a few tests now, and it doesn't seem to matter what I do - when I use images on web pages made with iWeb, iWeb strips the EXIF data from them before it publishes (and turns the JPG I used into a .PNG in the process)

This is problematic, because every photographer and artist I know uses the comment and copyright field to provide information on who to contact for rights - and so do I. As a matter of fact, as far as I am aware it is actually illegal and a criminal offense to remove copyright notices without permission, so it is possible that Apple is breaking the law by not carrying comment and copyright fields across. It's not as if the "copyright" field leaves any doubt as to its purpose..

I now have to go through the site and manually add this data in again - very annoying.

iWeb '08, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 1:50 PM

4 replies

Jul 19, 2012 12:16 PM in response to Second MUYB

You could upload your images to the server and link to them there or embed them into the iWeb page using an HTML snippet and iFrame code with the link to the photo on the server. That would display the "original" file that you uploaded to the server and will keep iWeb's metadata stripping little hands off the image file, so to speak.

An example of that is on this demo page: Page-5. You can download the top photo and then same photo from the photo page and compare them in an app that can read EXIF and IPTC fields. I used Media Pro and Photoshop CS3 to add the metadata and then read it after .

OT

How do I prevent iWeb from stripping EXIF data?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.