Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you find the average bitrate for 1080p movies purchased in iTunes?

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to find the average bitrate for 1080p movies purchased in iTunes?

For instance, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows on Bluray has an average bitrate of 18.523 Mbps.

Thanks in advance!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:25 PM

The 'near instant' streaming requirements for 1080p video for AppleTV listed by Apple are 8Mbps for 1080p, 6 Mbps for 720p and 2.5 Mbps for SD. You would therefore expect the average birates to be at or below these figures.

iTunes store video will be well below BluRay bitrates - you may notice, you may not.

AC

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2012 5:25 PM in response to _franksy_

The 'near instant' streaming requirements for 1080p video for AppleTV listed by Apple are 8Mbps for 1080p, 6 Mbps for 720p and 2.5 Mbps for SD. You would therefore expect the average birates to be at or below these figures.

iTunes store video will be well below BluRay bitrates - you may notice, you may not.

AC

Jul 18, 2012 5:32 PM in response to Alley_Cat

I expected as much. I've only downloaded two films. One is Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows and the other is Gladiator.

Sherlock looked pretty good but Gladiator had some major banding issues. There also seems to be two different downloads for Gladiator in iTunes. One has a release date of May 5th, 2000 and the other is November 21st, 2000. They have similar file sizes for 1080p but Apple iTunes support were unable to identify any difference in the two.

Jul 18, 2012 5:39 PM in response to _franksy_

Some titles look great from iTunes Store but over the years I have been very aware of distracting banding issues especially in dark/bright areas for example where you'd expect a smooth gery/black gradient but you get discrete bands of greys to black.

Many people say they don't see it, but I'm very sensitive to it.

I'm not convinced it's a pure bitrate problem, more to do with the encoding algorithm. Either way it's a clear disincentive to build a library of this content if you see it.

AC

How do you find the average bitrate for 1080p movies purchased in iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.