Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I update second iPhone on my Mac?

My son has a PowerMac and can no longer update iTunes or his iPhone 3GS to current rev levels. How can I update his phone's OS on my Intel Mac without syncing him with my iPhone software?

2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 5xMacs 1xHP AllinOne 1xPhaser 6180

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 6:07 PM

Create a computer login account for your son on your Mac. Transfer his iTunes library from his Mac to your Mac under his computer login account per the instructions included with this link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

5 replies

Jul 19, 2012 8:01 AM in response to Mr Alexander

If you transfer his iTunes library to your computer you do.

What happens if there is a problem with the update? How will he be able to restore his iPhone as is including all iTunes content and any photos transferred from his computer if you don't transfer this data from his computer to your computer?

What is the problem with authorizing your computer with his iTunes account under his computer login - for an iTunes account that is already set up - no set up required?

If you don't have enough available storage space to back up his iPhone, you should be moving files off your Mac's hard drive anyway. You can always place his iTunes library on an external drive for him to access his library from his computer login account on your computer.

How do I update second iPhone on my Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.