5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 19, 2012 8:01 AM by Allan Sampson
Mr Alexander Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

My son has a PowerMac and can no longer update iTunes or his iPhone 3GS to current rev levels. How can I update his phone's OS on my Intel Mac without syncing him with my iPhone software?

2x2.66 GHz Dual-Core Xeon, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 5xMacs 1xHP AllinOne 1xPhaser 6180
  • Allan Sampson Level 10 Level 10 (123,375 points)

Create a computer login account for your son on your Mac. Transfer his iTunes library from his Mac to your Mac under his computer login account per the instructions included with this link.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751

• Mr Alexander Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

Thanks.

Okay. Do I need to bring over his old account or can I just set up a new iTunes account for him? He doesn't need his backups, just to upgrade his OS

Assuming we do all that, when he has his new Mac, can I just delete his account on my Mac and recover all the space?

You're welcome.

You will authorize your computer with his iTunes account with iTunes under his computer login account.

When he has his new Mac, you can delete his computer login account on your Mac to recover all space - after transferring his iTunes library from your computer to his new computer.

• Mr Alexander Level 1 Level 1 (45 points)

So you are saying that we have to actually set up his iTunes account to update his iPhone's OS, that we cannot just update his iPhone's OS? I am not sure I have enough space to backup his iPhone. I will have to move some files off my drive. All this just to update his iOS.

If you transfer his iTunes library to your computer you do.

What happens if there is a problem with the update? How will he be able to restore his iPhone as is including all iTunes content and any photos transferred from his computer if you don't transfer this data from his computer to your computer?

What is the problem with authorizing your computer with his iTunes account under his computer login - for an iTunes account that is already set up - no set up required?

If you don't have enough available storage space to back up his iPhone, you should be moving files off your Mac's hard drive anyway. You can always place his iTunes library on an external drive for him to access his library from his computer login account on your computer.