Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac shuts down during start up.

I am having a problem where my iMac shuts down automatically after starting it up. To preface this problem, about an hour before it started doing this, the system began lagging really bad where I was always getting the beach ball of death when ever I cllicked on something. After a restart, I was no longer able to get to the log in screen. The computer just turns off after the apple logo is on the screen for about 30 seconds.

I think I need to boot from the install disc and wipe the system and install fresh. Thankfully I have backups to restore from.

Is this familiar to anyone?

Thanks for any assistance.

20" iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:12 PM

The computer just turns off after the apple logo is on the screen for about 30 seconds.

Try Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If that doesn't help, run Disk Utillity in case the startup disk needs repairing before trying to reformat and reinstall.

Launch Disk Utiity located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If the disk needs repairing you'll need your install discs > Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2012 9:12 PM in response to ecbmixman

The computer just turns off after the apple logo is on the screen for about 30 seconds.

Try Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

If that doesn't help, run Disk Utillity in case the startup disk needs repairing before trying to reformat and reinstall.

Launch Disk Utiity located in HD > Applications > Utilities

Select the startup disk on the left then select the First Aid tab.

Click Verify Disk (not Verify Disk Permissions)

If the disk needs repairing you'll need your install discs > Using Disk Utility to verify or repair disks

iMac shuts down during start up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.