Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

PC to Macbook user- Just purchased refurb - SLOW!!!!

2 weeks ago I purchased a Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.3GHz dual-core Intel i5-- Im completely new to mac as I've been a pc user my whole life. (Last laptop was a lenovo thinkpad - was actually really happy with it, it was simple and did what I needed it to. Unfortunately, it was the size of a minivan)

I was psyched to finally get a Macbook but I'm having a terrible time with the transition. Im not used to the functions. Everything feels SO intimidatingly different. And worst of all - its SO SLOW! even playlist.com just buffers. help!!

Obviously something is wrong here. Do I take it back? Do I get rid of programs? Add a program? I NEED a laptop for my job and the nearest Apple is 2 hours away. Please help!!

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 9:37 PM

And worst of all - its SO SLOW! even playlist.com just buffers. help!!

According to playlist.com, the site requires the Flash plugin. So try troubleshooting...

Assuming you are using Safari to surf the net...

Quit Safari.

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Storage tab. Click: Delete All

Now uninstall the Flash plugin then reinstall new > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Make sure to uninstall the currently installed Flash plugin before reinstalling.

Launch Safari From your Safari menu bar top of your scree click Safari > Empty Cache

Now try a video.

If you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. From your Safari menu bar top of your screen click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab.

It can also be installed as a plugin in HD > Library > Library Internet Plug-Ins

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

When it's convenient, since you are new to Mac, there are video and text tutorials available.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Apple product tutorials

Switching from Windows to Mac > Apple - Support - Switch 101

Tip... when you post for help, please tell us which Mac OS X is installed. You can find this information by clicking the Apple menu icon top left corner of your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac.

edited by: cs

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2012 9:37 PM in response to agirlinmaryland

And worst of all - its SO SLOW! even playlist.com just buffers. help!!

According to playlist.com, the site requires the Flash plugin. So try troubleshooting...

Assuming you are using Safari to surf the net...

Quit Safari.

Open System Preferences > Flash Player then select the Storage tab. Click: Delete All

Now uninstall the Flash plugin then reinstall new > Troubleshoot Flash Player | Mac OS

Make sure to uninstall the currently installed Flash plugin before reinstalling.

Launch Safari From your Safari menu bar top of your scree click Safari > Empty Cache

Now try a video.

If you have the ClickToFlash extension installed, that can prevent Flash based video from streaming. From your Safari menu bar top of your screen click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab.

It can also be installed as a plugin in HD > Library > Library Internet Plug-Ins

And check to see if Safari is running in 32 bit mode. Right or control click the Safari icon in your Applications folder then click Get Info. If the box next to: Open in 32 bit mode is selected, deselect, quit then relaunch Safari.

When it's convenient, since you are new to Mac, there are video and text tutorials available.

Apple - Find Out How - Mac Basics

Apple product tutorials

Switching from Windows to Mac > Apple - Support - Switch 101

Tip... when you post for help, please tell us which Mac OS X is installed. You can find this information by clicking the Apple menu icon top left corner of your screen. From the drop down menu click About This Mac.

edited by: cs

Jul 19, 2012 12:47 AM in response to agirlinmaryland

try these:

Make sure all your apps are close and not running in the background.

Open up activity monitor, under all processes, see what's using up most of your % CPU. Hightlight the ones using more the 10% and hit quit process.

Open disk utility - verify disk permissions - repair if needed. Restart after repairs are done.

Good luck.....Let us know how you make out.

Jul 19, 2012 1:57 AM in response to agirlinmaryland

First of all, your software is out of date. Go to the Apple menu, select Software Update, let it run, install all the updates it brings up. It should update your computer to OS X 10.7.4.

If you want to become more familiar with the Mac software, try reading these pages:

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

Those pages are useful for beginners that are more accustomed to Windows.

As for troubleshooting, there are a number of things you can try if you're having problems:

Repair Disk permissions using Disk Utility - it can be found in Applications/Utilities, click to 'Repair permissions'

Also try resetting your PRAM - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379

And reset SMC - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Like others have said, check Activity Monitor for any runaway processes eating CPU/RAM. Report back what you find.

Hope that helps.

PC to Macbook user- Just purchased refurb - SLOW!!!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.