Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I upgrade to a Retina Macbook Pro?

I have a 2011 11" Macbook Air. It's the base one. I'm running out of memory and storage because it doesn't have much ram and it only has 64 GB of storage. I'm starting high school and would like a more powerful computer to use for presentation making and also for putting a few games and doing some movie editing. I tried the Macbook Pro Retina and It is really nice. I don't really need a cd drive because I'm used to not having one on my Air. I like the 15" screen and the retina looks really sharp and nice. I also like the performance it has. Only problem is that it cost a lot. $2,200 just for the base (the one i'm buying). Should I get it?

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 8:56 PM

It's not for us to decided and frankly, it seems like you've already made up your mind. If you've got the money sure, but I don't think it's necessary for high school use. If you're just editing movies in your spare time then you're better off with a 13" MacBook Air or maybe you should wait for the next gen MacBook Pro 13". The rumors says it'll be out this fall. I wouldn't recommend this computer to anyone that's; short on money, does not work with heavy weight 'computering' or isn't a graphics designer (or such).

So the answer would simply be: wait untill the 13" with retina display will be out, it'll probably fit your needs better and your budget.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2012 8:56 PM in response to ifyarene

It's not for us to decided and frankly, it seems like you've already made up your mind. If you've got the money sure, but I don't think it's necessary for high school use. If you're just editing movies in your spare time then you're better off with a 13" MacBook Air or maybe you should wait for the next gen MacBook Pro 13". The rumors says it'll be out this fall. I wouldn't recommend this computer to anyone that's; short on money, does not work with heavy weight 'computering' or isn't a graphics designer (or such).

So the answer would simply be: wait untill the 13" with retina display will be out, it'll probably fit your needs better and your budget.

Jul 18, 2012 11:47 PM in response to ifyarene

For the same amount of money you can get the non-Retina 15" MBP that has three times the amount of hard disk space, faster processor, a DVD drive, many more input/output ports of different kinds and is upgradeable to more memory and drive by you, whereas the Retina is a completely closed and unupgradeable system that only has a fancy display. Heck, go for the regular 15" with widescreen antiglare.

Should I upgrade to a Retina Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.