Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Share NAS directories on LION Server

I want to share directories on a Synology NAS via LION Server.

Currently I have LION setup as Opendirectory server, Synology as LDAP client.

Synology is connected to LDAP server on Lion, I can see the LDAP users in the Synology LDAP user base, however I can't seem to be able to setup shares residing on the NAS via the server.

I am sharing a sharepont on synology, can mount it in finder of the server, but then I am unable to publish the mount as a shared directory in either server.app or in system settings for sharing.

any thoughts?

best

-Harald

Mac mini Server (Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.4), Server

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 10:12 PM

4 replies

Jul 19, 2012 4:24 PM in response to Jonathan Melville

Hi Jonathan,

good point - my thought was to have the NAS publish network shares to the LION Server, the Server than publishes shares within that share to the relevant users.

I did some more work on this and I managed to get the user accounts home folders created automatically on the NAS, however - I would like to automate this as much as getting the network home folders mounted at login and synchronized with the local home foldes as well.

On top of that there are other network shares on the NAS (group shares) which I would like to publish via the server, but I haven't yet figured out how to get the network shares added as a share point to the file sharing service.

I was thinking to create static mount points

Jul 23, 2012 11:53 AM in response to Jonathan Melville

Hi Jonathan,

probably my descripotion is not accurate should, I want to manage the network shares via the server (WGM).

in principle its like this:

OD user logs in, gets his network home folder (on NAS) that synchronizes with the local home folder (all this managed and configured via mobility in WGM).

OD user also gets access to group shares on the NAS, also managed via WGM.

The storage of data should occur on the NAS.

I am starting to think that iSCSI may be th eway to go for simplicity.

best

-H

Share NAS directories on LION Server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.