Previous 1 2 Next 24 Replies Latest reply: Nov 26, 2012 1:17 AM by xw227751
coop5 Level 1 (0 points)

I have tried a couple of different conversion programs to convert a wmv file to mov or mp4, and all seem to result in a viewable mp4, but when I import into final cut and try to put the footage into my sequence, it won't render. The sound renders, but the video remains "unrendered." I'm using a Pro res 422 sequence. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix the problem?

Thanks

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Nick Holmes Level 7 (29,990 points)

To successfully convert .wmv to .mov, you ned a paid version of Flip4Mac. The free version is only a player.

There are other options such as Sorenson Squeeze or Cleaner but they are considerably more expensive.

You shouldn't be using mp4 or any other MPEG format in FinalCut Pro. It is not suitable for editing. There are countless posts here on the subject explaining the reasons why.

If your Timeline is ProRes then your footage should also be ProRes and vice-versa. Hey look, no rendering!

• coop5 Level 1 (0 points)

Right, I didn't mean mp4. Thanks, I'll register flip and see if that works.

I guess to be clear, I mean I used compressor to convert the file, and compressor used flip4mac to import the footage. The final video had a flip4mac watermark since the program was unregistered, but I think it should still have worked otherwise like a registered version. I just don't wanna spend $30 if it's not gonna solve the problem.

Sorry to be unclear. Thanks for the help.

• darbypsnm Level 3 (720 points)

$30 will solve your SD wmv woes.

If you are trying to create HD wmvs you need to buy the $180 version.

I bought flip4Mac, and the video is now without watermark, but still will not render in my final cut sequence. Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

• Michael Grenadier Level 7 (20,340 points)

what are your fcp sequence settings?  And are you using compressor to convert the wmv file (if you've purchased flip4mac)?  If you are using compressor, choose a preset that matches your fcp sequence settings.  You may need to customize an existing apple preset.  Post back if this is greek to you.  I'll go into more detail.

Hey Michael,

My sequence is set to Pro Res 422. That's also what I set compressor at. Using compressor is the way to go, right? I bought flip4Mac and I think compressor uses that to convert. Or is that incorrect?

Lemme know if you have any thoughts.

Thanks for your help.

yup, that's the way to go.  Find the prores 422 preset. Apple:  Formats:  quicktime.  Control click on it and duplicate.  It will create a duplicate in the custom folder.  Double click on this to load in the inspector and in the encoder panel make sure audio is enabled and the settings are 48k 16bit.  Otherwise, the presets should be ok if the pixel dimensions, pixel aspect ratio and frame rate are correct for your intended use.

Compressor's pretty simple.  If you need more help, post back.

I will check to make sure of the settings, but this is basically what I did. I dragged the Apple prores 422 setting onto my clip and submitted, which is how I've always used compressor. Then it converts, I have a prores file, I import into Final Cut, I can play it in the viewer, but when I put it into the timeline it will not render.

did you change the audio from passthru?  That's crucial if the audio of the source file is compressed.

hmm, I'm not sure I did. I'll try that. Thanks.

I know that the audio was working fine and was able to render, but the video was the issue. Not sure though, maybe this will fix things nonetheless. I'm still pretty unclear about how all this works anyhow.

select a clip in your timeline and hit command-9.  Tell us what the pixeldimensions, pixel aspect ratio, frame rate and compressor (codec) are.  Make the timeline acitve, or select the sequence in the browser and hit command-zero and tell us the same thing for the sequence.

• xw227751 Level 1 (65 points)

Hello, this problem is not very difficult to solve a lot of software now can be converted, but can guarantee quality conversion software I've been using the Bros WMV to MOV Converter for Mac the effect is very good, high quality,you can try, and hope to be able to help you. You can google browser inside search keywords: Bros WMV to MOV Mac Converter to find this software.

Bros WMV to MOV Mac Converter is so far the best wmv to mov mac conversion program, which is specially designed for mac users to convert wmv to mov mac with excellent video quality and fast speed.

More useful information, please visit the official website:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Bros+WMV+to+M OV+Mac+Converter&oq=Bros+WMV+to+MOV+Mac+Converter&gs_l=hp.12...27138.27138.1.283 92.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.i0oHD4fTC2s&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_ pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=8ff3de5a7c770af9&bpcl=38897761&biw=1426&bih=620

Previous 1 2 Next