Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I convert wmv to mov files for fcp?

I have tried a couple of different conversion programs to convert a wmv file to mov or mp4, and all seem to result in a viewable mp4, but when I import into final cut and try to put the footage into my sequence, it won't render. The sound renders, but the video remains "unrendered." I'm using a Pro res 422 sequence. Does anyone know why this is happening and how I can fix the problem?

Thanks

Final Cut Pro 7, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 8:23 AM

23 replies

Jul 19, 2012 8:36 AM in response to coop5

To successfully convert .wmv to .mov, you ned a paid version of Flip4Mac. The free version is only a player.

There are other options such as Sorenson Squeeze or Cleaner but they are considerably more expensive.

You shouldn't be using mp4 or any other MPEG format in FinalCut Pro. It is not suitable for editing. There are countless posts here on the subject explaining the reasons why.

If your Timeline is ProRes then your footage should also be ProRes and vice-versa. Hey look, no rendering!

Jul 19, 2012 8:54 AM in response to Nick Holmes

I guess to be clear, I mean I used compressor to convert the file, and compressor used flip4mac to import the footage. The final video had a flip4mac watermark since the program was unregistered, but I think it should still have worked otherwise like a registered version. I just don't wanna spend $30 if it's not gonna solve the problem.

Sorry to be unclear. Thanks for the help.

Jul 20, 2012 8:14 AM in response to coop5

yup, that's the way to go. Find the prores 422 preset. Apple: Formats: quicktime. Control click on it and duplicate. It will create a duplicate in the custom folder. Double click on this to load in the inspector and in the encoder panel make sure audio is enabled and the settings are 48k 16bit. Otherwise, the presets should be ok if the pixel dimensions, pixel aspect ratio and frame rate are correct for your intended use.

Compressor's pretty simple. If you need more help, post back.

Jul 20, 2012 8:37 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

I will check to make sure of the settings, but this is basically what I did. I dragged the Apple prores 422 setting onto my clip and submitted, which is how I've always used compressor. Then it converts, I have a prores file, I import into Final Cut, I can play it in the viewer, but when I put it into the timeline it will not render.

Nov 26, 2012 1:17 AM in response to coop5

Hello, this problem is not very difficult to solve a lot of software now can be converted, but can guarantee quality conversion software I've been using the Bros WMV to MOV Converter for Mac the effect is very good, high quality,you can try, and hope to be able to help you. You can google browser inside search keywords: Bros WMV to MOV Mac Converter to find this software.

Bros WMV to MOV Mac Converter is so far the best wmv to mov mac conversion program, which is specially designed for mac users to convert wmv to mov mac with excellent video quality and fast speed.

More useful information, please visit the official website:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=Bros+WMV+to+M OV+Mac+Converter&oq=Bros+WMV+to+MOV+Mac+Converter&gs_l=hp.12...27138.27138.1.283 92.1.1.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.i0oHD4fTC2s&psj=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_ pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=8ff3de5a7c770af9&bpcl=38897761&biw=1426&bih=620

How do I convert wmv to mov files for fcp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.