Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini as iTunes server/backup server/generic file share

I would like to set up a Mac Mini with a few external USB drives as a multipurpose server, and I am wondering what the minimum version required would be.

The functionality I would like the server to provide is:

• Run iTunes in server mode so that I can stream movies to my iPad and ATV v2
  • Run Logitech Media Server (previously called SqueezeBox Server/SqueezeCenter/SlimServer/) so that I can stream my rather large FLAC music library to my two Squeezeboxes
  • Be able to back up my main Windows 7 PC to one or more of the attached USB drives
  • Function as a shared file system for files that I want to share with my wife's laptop

Alone, none of the above would require a whole lot of horsepower, but I'm not sure if together they warrant buying a new Mac Mini when an older (and cheaper) version may suffice.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated

Rich

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 8:30 AM

4 replies

Jul 20, 2012 9:56 PM in response to RichS123

OK, I'd look for a Mini that can hold at least8 GB of RAM...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-2-duo-2.66-la te-2009-specs.html

But I don't like that one because the Shared Video, I'd opt for...

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_mini/specs/mac-mini-core-i5-2.5-mid-20 11-specs.html

A real Video card & 16 GB of RAM possible.

Jul 21, 2012 6:14 AM in response to RichS123

An older even PowerPC Mac can do all your requirements. However bare in mind the following.

Mac OS X 10.4.x cannot run the latest iTunes, it is however possible to install Mac OS X 10.5.x (Leopard) on a PowerPC Mac mini which currently can still run the latest iTunes.

USB hard drives are slow. FireWire would be better.

The ordinary version of Mac OS X (any version) will not act as a Time Machine Server for other Macs to back-up to. The Server version of Mac OS X 10.6 or later can do this which means you would need an Intel model Mac mini.

I have setup an Intel Mac mini running 10.6.8 with iTunes and Logitech Media Server to do pretty much exactly what your are trying to do. It works fine.

Mac Mini as iTunes server/backup server/generic file share

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.