Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Exercise log: how to calculate average miles per week?

I have been keeping an exercise log of daily walks or bike rides. I'd like to be able to calculate the average miles per week of each. My rows are the date, and columns are separate for walking and biking, and I enter the total miles each day in the respecitve column.

Since it's random as far as to whether I walk or bike on a given day, I can't just get the average and multiply by 7 (which seems like the wrong way to do things anyways).

I've looked at the funtion reference, and thought perhaps Duration might be the key but I couldn't figure it out from the help.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 9:15 AM

16 replies

Jul 19, 2012 11:10 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Thanks for looking at this. I'm not actually looking to compare the two, just looking to calculate separate weekly averages.

I have a separate sheet that is just a "overview" sheet that references the table from the "log" sheet where I enter all the values. The overview sheet displays total miles (separately for each activity) at the present, but I wanted to include a master, overall weekly average for each activity, separately (not averages for each week).

I have no idea how to automatically include arbitrary lengths of time in functions that contintually update as I add more data. I figured out how to do this for specific dates, but not duration of weeks since start date.

Jul 20, 2012 11:15 AM in response to George Coghill

You can also add a new column to calculate an average on a weekly basis:

User uploaded file

Where the formula in G9 is:

G9=SUM(E3:E9)/7

a couple notes. I added rows at the beginning and end so there are always full weeks. select G9, copy, then paste at each of the sunday rows in the G column

now you can average column G for the number of miles walked in a week by updating the formula in cell A1 in the table "Walking weekly average miles"

A1=AVERAGE(Exercise log details :: G)

Jul 20, 2012 12:01 PM in response to George Coghill

George Coghill wrote:

Jerry — thanks so much! I'm kind of new to Numbers & spreadsheets (but I love them!). Here's a Dropbox link to a sample Numbers file for the exercise log as I am using it now: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/28419/Exercise%20%26%20Health%20Log%20copy.numbers

Thanks again!

George,

Take a look at this and see if it's going in the right direction...

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/9499157/Exercise%20%26%20Health%20Log%20-%20revJDG.numb ers

I gave you a table of weekly averages with Grand Averages in the second header row of the Week Averages table.

User uploaded file

Jerry

Jul 20, 2012 7:50 PM in response to George Coghill

Hi George,

Here's one way, using two added columns on your 'details' table to calculate the weekly totals for walking and cycling, then use those to calculate the weekly averages, reported in row 2 of that table.

The two averages may then be transfered to the Walking/Cycling Weekly Average tables on the Overview sheet.

User uploaded file

Except for column references, the formulas in columns G (Walking miles/week) and H (cycling miles/week) are the same.

G2: =AVERAGE($G)

H2: =AVERAGE($H)

G3: =IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A)=7,COUNTIFS($E,">0",$A,">"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3)>0),SUMIFS($E,$A," >"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3),"")

H3: =IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A)=7,COUNTIFS($F,">0",$A,">"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3)>0),SUMIFS($F,$A," >"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3),"")

Formulas in G3 and H3 are filled down to the end of their respective columns. These columns may be hidden to give some protection to the formulas.

As written, the formulas in row 3 (and below) calculate the week's totals for the seven day period ending Saturday, which, for the sample data, results in a lowered average for the walking mileage. I would suggest either deleting rows 3 and 4 from the table, or changing "WEEKDAY(A)=7" to WEEKDAY(A)=5 to ensure that that every 'week' on the table has a full seven days (either Sunday through Saturday, starting June 3, or Friday through Thursday, starting June 1).

Regards,

Barry

Jul 21, 2012 11:39 AM in response to Jerrold Green1

Jerry,

Much appreciated, this did the trick! If I understand correctly, you created a new table with a weekly date interval (Sundays), and then told the AVERAGEIFS function to check the date ranges in the log table to see if they are between the specified weekly (Sunday) dates in the new chart—correct?

What does the ampersand symbol accomplish? I'm just trying to understand what you did as opposed to just using the file you edited. I'd like to know what's going on here 🙂

Thanks again!

Jul 21, 2012 12:53 PM in response to George Coghill

Hi George,

G3 should remain blank as row 3 is not a Saturday.

G4, when the formula is filled down to that row, should show 2.3, the total miles walked in the week ending Saturday June 2.

Here's the formula, with a breakdown of what it does:

G3: =IF(AND(WEEKDAY(A)=7,COUNTIFS($E,">0",$A,">"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3)>0),SUMIFS($E,$A," >"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3),"")

IF(condition,doifTRUE,doifFALSE)

condition: AND(condition 1,condition 2)

TRUE only if both condition 1 AND condition 2 are TRUE

condition 1: WEEKDAY(A)=7

TRUE only if the date on this line is a Saturday

condition 2: COUNTIFS($E,">0",$A,">"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3)>0

COUNTIFS(test values 1,condition 1,test values 2,condition 2,test values 3,condition 3)

Counts only the rows where:

the numerical value in column E is greater than zero (ie. a number has been entered in the miles walked column)

AND the date in column A is after the date seven days before the date in the row containing the formula

AND the date in column A is on or before before the date in the row containing the formula

TRUE only if COUNTIFS returns a count of one or more.

doifTRUE: SUMIFS($E,$A," >"&A3-7,$A,"<="&A3)

sums the values in column E in rows for dates fitting the same conditions for dates in COUNTIFS above.

doifFALSE: ""

inserts a null string (which dispalys as an 'empty' cell) if either of the conditions in AND() is not TRUE.

Regards,

Barry

Exercise log: how to calculate average miles per week?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.