Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could not activate cellular data network

I cant access my hotmail account when i am out and about, when i send and receive the pop up window says, Could not activate data network , but my cellular is turned on.

Can anyone help?

iPhone 4, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 9:47 AM

45 replies

Jan 11, 2017 2:10 PM in response to stel555

I just had this same problem. My circumstances are: unlocked UK iPhone 6 on IOS 10, have used it in three countries on 4 networks. Once I inserted a Virgin Mobile (Bell) SIM in Canada I could only get voice services when not connected to wifi. Very frustrating when I know it's an unlocked phone, and I'm not able to get the 2Gb data I've paid for.

I reset the network settings in Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. Then I removed a profile from a now defunct network operator in Settings -> General -> Profiles (then select the profile and select delete)

All working fine now. Good luck

Dec 4, 2012 7:10 PM in response to stel555

Please help! I receive cannot activate cellular network and it started out of nowhere yesterday. I depend on the phone. I have used the same phone and provider without chagnes to my data plan which has data. I reset netowrk settings. When It first happened I restarted the phone and it fixed the problem for two hours, then bam its back again. Reboot doesn't work. Reset netowrk settings doesn't work, power off an don doesn't work, synching with itunes from the laptop doesn't work. I can't believe there isn't a clear answer to this here. What is causing this problem? You can see the spinnign whell for a few seconds then the error occurs. I have a netowrk signal. I use 3g usb modem from my laptop to post htis message so 3g is working. Please tell me how to fix this problem!

Could not activate cellular data network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.