Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help!! I wanna remove MacKeeper!

Hi... Can any kind soul here teach me how to remove MacKeeper from my MacBook Pro? I need the steps for complete removal of that trash. I've clicked on the link: ' http://applehelpwriter.com/2011/09/21/how-to-uninstall-mackeeper-malware/' (which has been introduced by many on the forum) several times but cannot seem to access it. There also seems to be a bogus website that impersonates Phil Stokes' web page (applewriter.wordpress.com) which directs you to Zeobit's uninstallation steps (which have been quipped by many on the forum as incomplete and dubious). Please help, anyone! Thanks! :) - Stephanie

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 10:13 AM

14 replies

Jul 19, 2012 11:03 AM in response to Eistolsis

Remove the "MacKeeper" crapware as follows.

IMPORTANT: MacKeeper has what the developer calls an “encryption” feature. If you used it to “encrypt” any of your files, “decrypt” them before you uninstall, or (preferably) restore the files from backups made before they were “encrypted.”

In the Finder, select Go Applications from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-A. The MacKeeper application is in the folder that opens. Drag it to the Trash. A dialog will pop up asking why you want to uninstall it. You don't have to provide that information. Enter any text in the text box, then click the Uninstall button. All the functional components of the software will be deleted. This is the only worthwhile feature of MacKeeper: it deletes itself. Reboot.

Do not try to uninstall by dragging the MacKeeper icon from the Dock to the Trash.

If you want your computer to be usable, don't install crapware, such as “themes,” "haxies," “add-ons,” “toolbars,” “enhancers," “optimizers,” “accelerators,” “extenders,” “cleaners,” “defragmenters,” “firewalls,” "barriers," “guardians,” “defenders,” “protectors,” most “plugins,” commercial "virus scanners,” or "utilities." With very few exceptions, this kind of material is useless, or worse than useless.

The more actively promoted the product, the more likely it is to be garbage. The most extreme example is the “MacKeeper” scam.

The only software you should install is that which directly enables you to do the things you use a computer for — such as creating, communicating, and playing — and does not modify the way other software works. Never install any third-party software unless you know how to uninstall it.

Jul 19, 2012 6:17 PM in response to Eistolsis

As is usual with fear and hysteria, there is a lot of misinformation floating around. To uninstall MacKeeper, simply drag the MacKeeper application to the trash. MacKeeper will detect that you want to delete it and will ask if you are sure. If you are, click the appropriate button and MacKeeper will uninstall itself.

That is the correct uninstall procedure. Phil Stokes has shown more integrity than some and has updated his web site to reflect this. MacKeeper is no different than any antivirus or "clean up" software. You don't need any of it on a Mac. I don't recommend it, but it certainly isn't malware.

Dec 30, 2012 11:01 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi There

Please help!! Before reasing these posts i moved mackeeper to trash and deleted it, the uninstall box box came up when i tried to delete Mackeeper email messages. I got worried if this was legit and just restarted my mac. It all seems fine but i didnt use that uninstall option and have already deleted mackeeper from my trash.. Should I worry at all as all seems to be running fine?

Dec 31, 2012 8:02 AM in response to uvistra

uvistra wrote:

Should I worry at all as all seems to be running fine?

Yes, because you didn't remove it correctly. You must re-install MacKeeper and then uninstall it properly. If you check your log files you might find parts of MacKeeper still trying to run.

This is precisely the reason why I complain about this heavy-handed demonizing of MacKeeper. People install it (why - I have no idea) and then categorically refuse to uninstall it properly. Again, I have no idea why. Really, the uninstaller is probably MacKeeper's best feature - no joke. Yet that part is the one that I can't get anyone to try.

Mac users do not need antivirus or "clean up" software from MacKeeper or anyone else. But if you choose to ignore my advice and install it anyway. Then you MUST trust it long enough to use the correct uninstaller.

Nov 21, 2014 5:10 PM in response to Eistolsis

MacKeeper is an absolute scam!!! They screw with Safari, put in files that produce ads, make Safari search in Yahoo instead of Google and then flash on your desktop that you have a big security issue. It is a warning window that appears that it comes from Apple!! It says Apple will help if you call the 800 number. Of course they will sell you their software to "fix" your Mac (which they screwed up!). Their software will indeed fix it but it still is in your computer and you paid them 200-300.00, I have heard, for their software to fix something they created!!!!

As to the fix: There's hope. There are three fixes. First two are the best:

1. Take it to your local Mac Dealer and some dealers will fix it for free!! Others may charge a fee. Ours here in Peachtree City, Ga will do it for free.

2. Call Apple technical support. If your Apple Care has expired, pay them 29.00 and they will walk you through the files that have to be removed. That is what I did last night and the tech was great, knew all about it and had me up and running in about :30 mins. Best 29.00 bucks I ever spent.

3. There are places on line, maybe Apple, that can tell you what files to delete. This will take time. If you're not mac savvy, a lot of time.

Note: I had not installed the actual Mac Keeper App on my computer. They had just installed files in my mac that were creating the problems. I would assume that Apple can uninstall the Mac Keeper App as well. Good Luck. It was the first Malware, Virus or what ever, I have had on a mac ever!! 25 years….

Nov 22, 2014 5:38 AM in response to b767capt

I agree that MacKeeper is a scam, and should be avoided. If you have it installed, it should be removed.

However, what you describe is not caused by MacKeeper, but by adware. One adware program known to show MacKeeper ads very intrusively is Downlite (aka VSearch, aka Dynamic Pricer). However, MacKeeper is aggressively-marketed and other adware is also likely to display ads for MacKeeper.

If you have constant MacKeeper pop-ups but have not installed MacKeeper, the proper solution is to remove the adware causing the problem. One source of information that can help with that is my Adware Removal Guide.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com, in the form of buttons allowing for donations. Donations are not required to use my site or software.)

Help!! I wanna remove MacKeeper!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.