Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictionary is multiplying entries on my contextual menu

Yesterday I looked up a word using my context menu. Dictionary gave me the spelling. Today I have about 20 entries in my context menu of the two words Dictionary suggested yesterday. Each time I look, a new pair of the same two words has been added to the menu. It's getting out of hand fast.

Dictionary has no useful preferences.

I would really like to reset my contextual menus and my services prefs.

I suspect I broke this mechanism weeks ago when I made the mistake of deleting some duplicated services with Services Scrubber, which works but is apparently buggy in SL. I read the warning only after the fact.

Must I reinstall the OS, or is there something I can delete in order to get back to normal?

I do have Onyx.

iMac (24-inch), Mac OS X (10.4.11), 3GB RAM

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 11:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 2:12 AM

Although I would still like to reset my services, I appear to have solved the Dictionary part of the problem by doing this:

Move to trash:

com.apple.Dictionary.plist

com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist

Restart.

[I tried to type the path but the all-too-clever form tried to submit itself when I typed a tilde.]

They are in (home)/Library/Preferences

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2012 2:12 AM in response to imacism

Although I would still like to reset my services, I appear to have solved the Dictionary part of the problem by doing this:

Move to trash:

com.apple.Dictionary.plist

com.apple.DictionaryServices.plist

Restart.

[I tried to type the path but the all-too-clever form tried to submit itself when I typed a tilde.]

They are in (home)/Library/Preferences

Dictionary is multiplying entries on my contextual menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.