Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Read Only" and Custom Access

I have admin rights on the server, but when I retrieve a file to my Mac Air it comes as "read only". "Getinfo" shows I have custom access. I have re-propegated permissions and checked all of the permissions on the server. What have I missed?

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 1:08 PM

1 reply

Jul 20, 2012 4:14 AM in response to Frank Chavez

The usual suspects here are differences in the object ownership, the group membership, or maybe an access control list entry.

I almost never use the GUI for these cases. The GUI is cute. It's pretty. But it's just not as compact, nor as concise

Launch Terminal.app and issue the commands:

id

ls -ale@ ~

ls -ale@ ~/YourFilenameHere

and post the results.

This assumes the file is in your login directory. ~ is command-line syntax for your login directory, and the YourFilenameHere in the ~/YourFilenameHere specification should be replaced with the name of your file. The id command will show the details of your identity and your groups.

Yeah, I know. I'm referring to the command line as being less arcane and easier to use than the GUI. Ah, well.

"Read Only" and Custom Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.