Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore my MacBook to factory settings?

I have a 13.3-inch Macbook (model #: A1181). The person I bought it from said that he bought it in 2006. It's running Snow Leopard, version 10.6.8. Is there a way that I can restore the MacBook to factory settings by using the Snow Leopard Install DVD? If not, how can I restore my MacBook to factory settings without a Mac OS X Install DVD?

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:11 PM

Put your install DVD into the optical drive (CD/DVD drive) and reboot. Be sure to either use the disc that came with your Mac, or, if you installed a later Mac OS X version from disc, use the newer disc. As soon as you hear the boot chime, hold down the "c" key on your keyboard (or the Option Key until the Install Disk shows up) until the apple shows up. That will force your MacBook to boot from the install DVD in the optical drive.

When it does start up, you'll see a panel asking you to choose your language. Choose your language and press the Return key on your keyboard once. It will then present you with an Installation window.

Completely ignore this window and click on Utilities in the top menu and scroll down to Disk Utility and click it. You should see your hard drive in the left hand column along with your other drives. Click on the drive and select the Erase tab. Set the format value to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click the Erase button. After that has finished select the Partition tab. Type in a Name for your hard drive and select how many partitions you want from the Volume Scheme. The usual setting is one partition. Click on the Options button after you've selected a partition to make sure it's set for GUID. Then click the Apply button and after the partitioning is done quit Disk Utility.

You can now follow the instructions on the install screen

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2012 2:11 PM in response to Cassandra0117

Put your install DVD into the optical drive (CD/DVD drive) and reboot. Be sure to either use the disc that came with your Mac, or, if you installed a later Mac OS X version from disc, use the newer disc. As soon as you hear the boot chime, hold down the "c" key on your keyboard (or the Option Key until the Install Disk shows up) until the apple shows up. That will force your MacBook to boot from the install DVD in the optical drive.

When it does start up, you'll see a panel asking you to choose your language. Choose your language and press the Return key on your keyboard once. It will then present you with an Installation window.

Completely ignore this window and click on Utilities in the top menu and scroll down to Disk Utility and click it. You should see your hard drive in the left hand column along with your other drives. Click on the drive and select the Erase tab. Set the format value to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click the Erase button. After that has finished select the Partition tab. Type in a Name for your hard drive and select how many partitions you want from the Volume Scheme. The usual setting is one partition. Click on the Options button after you've selected a partition to make sure it's set for GUID. Then click the Apply button and after the partitioning is done quit Disk Utility.

You can now follow the instructions on the install screen

How do I restore my MacBook to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.