Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I deleted my Time Machine backups using Finder, now the trash won't empty

Hello

I've just been to the Apple genius bar and thought this was solved, there the trash emptied no problem. But I realized that the problem has to do with two external drives that have time machine backups on them. I deleted some of the older back ups because my drive was filling up and I didn't see any other way to delete them.

Now they can't be reinstated back where they were, and the trash won't empty using any method. I've even tried the Terminal SUMO methods on here and other sites, and the Trashi It app, and Cocktail app - nothing works.

The only solutions I've found say to wipe your back up drive completely and start over but that is NOT an option as I have ALL of my photos on there. I use my external drive for my images (I am a photographer) and use time machine to back up my MacBookPro onto there as well. I had no idea deleting those was going to be an issue. Now I've tried to delete other things on both external drives and they are all stuck in the trash.

Someone please help!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 2:45 PM

14 replies

Jul 19, 2012 4:09 PM in response to photogirl67

photogirl67 wrote:

. . .

I use my external drive for my images (I am a photographer) and use time machine to back up my MacBookPro onto there as well.

Not a good idea, as you've learned the hard way. 😟

And especially bad in the same partition, as you can't just erase the TM partition.

Plus, how do you back up the images?

For best results, consider getting another external HD; one for the images, and one for TM. Then you can have Time Machine back up both your Mac and the external. See Time Machine - Frequently Asked Question #32 for details and considerations.

But my question for Pondini is this - if I use that command will it erase that entire drive, or just the trash on it?

Just the trash folders. I've reworded those instructions a bit, hopefully more clearly and safely, and put them in #E6 of Time Machine - Troubleshooting.

Jul 19, 2012 6:13 PM in response to Pondini

Yeah well there wasn't a lot of info that came with Time Machine and it seemed pretty straight forward setting it up. I didn't realize until you said that just now that I should have a dedicated drive JUST for TM backups. Never heard that before.

I have two hard drives - one with all the images, the second one is a copy of the first. Then I also have an online back up of everything including my laptop.

My images HDR is 1.5tb and it's full. The next one I get will have to be likely 2 or 3tb. If the backup drive for TM needs to be twice the size I'd need at least a 6gb drive. Can't afford that right now.

So does each HD have it's OWN trash folder? I've tried to search for where the trash folder resides and can't see it.

How do I know the right name for each drive?

Do I need to do it twice, once for each one?

Thanks for your reply!

Jul 19, 2012 6:22 PM in response to photogirl67

photogirl67 wrote:

Yeah well there wasn't a lot of info that came with Time Machine and it seemed pretty straight forward setting it up. I didn't realize until you said that just now that I should have a dedicated drive JUST for TM backups. Never heard that before.

Yeah, Apple's documentation isn't exactly complete or easy to find. 😟

So does each HD have it's OWN trash folder? I've tried to search for where the trash folder resides and can't see it.

Yup. And it contains one folder for each user account. But they're hidden (that's what the dot at the beginning of the .Trashes name indicates).

How do I know the right name for each drive?

Just drag it from a Finder window, per the revised instructions & samples in #E6.

Do I need to do it twice, once for each one?

Just the Time Machine drive (unless you're also having trouble with the other one).

Jul 20, 2012 7:00 AM in response to photogirl67

photogirl67 wrote:

Thing is there are TM backups on both of the external drives.

Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that.

How do you quote in the reply? I can't see how to do that?

Click the quote icon in the toolbar at the top of the edit box (next to the smiley icon).

If you highlight something, it will quote what's highlighted.

If you do it after clicking Reply, and nothing in the edit box is highlighted, it will bring in the original post.

Nov 1, 2012 4:21 PM in response to photogirl67

photogirl67 wrote:

Now it's happening again on both drives AND my laptop even if Time Machine hasn't been used since the last episode, and both hard drives are unplugged. Last time the laptop trash would empty if I unplugged them.

If there's trash on an external HD, it's not really emptied if you just eject and disconnect the drive. It's still there, just not shown as part of your normal trash until you reconnect the drive.

Now I've tried the Terminal procedure on the one drive and it did nothing.

Are you sure there was trash on that drive? If so, try copying the Terminal session here -- maybe we can spot something wrong.

What do I do? I need to empty my trash??

Sounds like there's more going on here than meets the eye. You might want to try the TrashIt app or review Dr. Smoke's X-FAQ on trash problems here: http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/trash.html

Nov 1, 2012 6:10 PM in response to Pondini

If there's trash on an external HD, it's not really emptied if you just eject and disconnect the drive. It's still there, just not shown as part of your normal trash until you reconnect the drive.

Yes I realize that. I tried emptying the laptop trash by itself and no go. Then I did a repair disk on both of them and got them both to dump. Also did terminal command on laptop.

I've previously tried TrashIt, Onyx and all other outside apps that were recommended. The Apple support had no suggestions either.

Hopefully now these drives are being retired I won't have this problem again.

Apr 5, 2013 6:07 PM in response to photogirl67

photogirl67 wrote:

. . .

Here I go again! This is crazy. I haven't even used Time Machine nor are those old drives even connected any more. I cannot dump my trash on my laptop yet again.

Try holding the Alt/Option key while emptying the trash.

If that doesn't work, what sort of files are in it?

I'm even using MacKeeper and it can't do it either.

They've apparently improved it some lately, but that has a terrible reputation here. 😟 I'd strongly recommend deleting it (not easy to do). See http://www.thesafemac.com/beware-mackeeper/ and https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-4171

I deleted my Time Machine backups using Finder, now the trash won't empty

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.