Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stream itunes purchased movies to ipad

I want to stream movies purchased in itunes to my ipad rather than download them. I don't have enough memory to store all these movies and shows. Apple tv can do it why can't my ipad? I hope there is a setting I am overlooking to turn of movie and tv show storage and if there is not then there should be.

Anyone?

Mac mini, I don't know my OS number it's Lion

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 3:10 PM

73 replies

Jul 19, 2012 4:07 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Hi and thank you Allan but I am already aware of that. I didn't think of that angle and so to be clearer...

I have 3g connectivity which is sufficient for streaming movies. When I am driving with my son, for example, he can open Netflix and watch, streaming, anything they offer as instant - no download necessary. I am wondering if there is a way for me to STREAM ONLY to my ipad just like my Apple TV does. Granted the ATV is seemingly incapable of storage in the same way that the ipad is, but I wish I could save my gigs for "useful" stuff. Movies and tv shows take up a lot of gigs.

Jul 19, 2012 4:36 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Not to be argumentative but apple is in the content streaming business, at least where apple tv is concerned. With regards to itunes purchased tv and movies Apple tv neither gets it's content from any of my home sharing devices nor from self storage of said digital content. So technically you are wrong there but I believe you when you say I cannot do this with my ipad which I hope is simply an oversight on Apples part that they will remedy on some future firmware upgrade.

Thanks for your imput. If anyone else has anything helpful to say on this topic please chime in.

Jul 19, 2012 4:56 PM in response to dsalant

Apple is not in the streaming business in regards to an iOS device when away from your Home Sharing network as with a streaming service such as Netflix done via the internet. A firmware update for the iPad and Apple TV will not change this.

With regards to itunes purchased tv and movies Apple tv neither gets it's content from any of my home sharing devices nor from self storage of said digital content.

My Apple TV gets quite a bit of iTunes purchased movies from my Mac.

Sep 3, 2012 10:38 PM in response to dsalant

I belive the Apple TV (both current version and previous version) only have 8GB of cache, so this is less than what most people would have in even the basic iPad model (16GB). But the Apple TV is designed for streaming from another source (iTunes server for rented movies, your Mac over iTunes sharing, Netflix server, etc.) The iPad is designed for WiFi streaming but due to agreements with the cellular carriers, they don't want to host all of that bandwith for streaming movies over their data networks. At least, not at this time. Perhaps that will change with 4G? Even so, that level of data use will probably be expensive. It would be more economical to buy an iPad with more RAM next time (or trade up -- I sold my old iPad on Amazon for almost what I paid for it and got the model with more RAM).

Nov 25, 2012 7:40 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Level 10 troll, haha, is that what you do, hang out here and post nasty comments to people who criticize your masters?

Ahhh, the Apple support forums. Another wonderful surprise for someone trying to make te switch to Apple. As someone who has spent plenty of time in various forums getting and giving help back in the days of building every PC I've owned, I've never seen a more rude, hyper-defensive and useless group as the one you have here.

Apple should care to know that their customers are upset, disappointed and leaving because their system does not live up to the expectations set by their competition.

BTW, why is the virtual keyboard always uppercase on my iPad?

Stay off the roads in Texas, where people drive 70 mph in thick fog.

stream itunes purchased movies to ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.