Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macintosh LC 475 Zip Problems

After finally getting my macintosh LC to boot from a floppy disk (It doesn't have a hard drive, I connected an external scsi zip drive, And I planned on having it use the zip disk to boot, and floppies to get more data. However, the zip disk has only showed up say, 3 out of 50 times I have started up the computer. I have tried 2 different scsi cables, and 2 differnet zip drives. Any ideas on how to get it working?

Macintosh L.C. 475-OTHER, Other OS, Needs hard drive and monitor cable

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 5:50 PM

9 replies

Jul 20, 2012 11:37 AM in response to nstephenh

It sounds like the problem is with the disk itself or the disk's bootable content. What OS version did you copy to the Zip disk, to boot the LC475? Did you copy it from a CD or floppy startup disk? Are you using the 4-key combination (Command + Option + Shift + Delete), to boot from the Zip drive? I assume that you want to retrieve data from the floppy disks, and copy to the Zip drive.

Jul 20, 2012 11:52 AM in response to Jeff

On one of the times the zip disk showed up, we tried to install system 7.5 from disk images downloaded from the web. However, booting from it failed, so we gave up on that and threw the disk back into the box. If we can get teh zip disks to show up consistently, then we will try booting from it, bt If the don't even mount then ther is no hope of booting from them. We have tried numrous zip disks, labeled maczip, or just zip, in the lower right hand corner.

We will try changing the termination, but the zip drive is terminated. I also have a hard disk which I am not sure works, and an external terminatir we can put on the cable. Perhaps the lack of hard disk requires some internal termination. I will check and see if there is any way of doing that. Does anyone know if there are certain pins I could solder together to get it to terminate internally? I noticed that on many terminators, it is just a resistor connecting some pins.

Jul 20, 2012 12:09 PM in response to nstephenh

You need to format the Zip disk as a Mac OS Standard (HFS) volume, and not a Mac OS Extended (HFS+) volume. A PC-formatted Zip disk will not boot that computer. The System 7.5 OS build must be installed on the Zip disk, while it's connected to a comparable 68K Mac, so that the necessary hardware drivers are written to the disk. You won't boot the LC, using an image of a PowerPC Mac's OS build.

If the internal SCSI ribbon cable is still inside the case, you could install an active IDC-50 (male) terminator on the cable's last connector. Depending on what you're attempting to do - such as data retrieval, you may find a less expensive solution by checking any thrift stores in your area, for a slightly newer, used Mac. Several years ago, beige G3s could be purchased for $20.

Macintosh LC 475 Zip Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.