Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

disk utility is crashing when trying to create a new image

Seriously need some help if anyone has an idea of why disk utility is crashing while trying to create a disk image. I'm not finding any other info on this issue.

My HD is failing and being replaced tomorrow and I'm desperately trying to create disk images of both my mac HD and of bootcamp for the new drive being installed.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be truly appreciated.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Bootcamp running Windows 7, 2.2GHz

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 5:58 PM

6 replies

Jul 19, 2012 7:00 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for responding so quickly. I do have Carbon Copy Cloner, but if disk utility isn't working, getting it to restore is going to be an issue, though haven't attempted a restore since the HD has to be replaced.

CCC also doesn't clone bootcamp either unfortunately.

Currently running "verify permissions" using Disk Utility and so far so good, it hasn't crashed, it seems to be an issue related to imaging with disk utility.

Then I am going to attempt using the install disk to see if I can get disk utility again and try imaging Bootcamp again too.

Jul 19, 2012 7:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Here's what was accomplished so far...

Repaired Permissions with Disk Utility for Mac HD

Repaired Disk completed with Disk Utility for Bootcamp

Attempted to Create New Image with Disk Utility, storing to an external 4TB HD connected via firewire and it crashed again, as it was "preparing imaging engine".

Moving on to try the installation disk...

Jul 20, 2012 6:25 AM in response to Kittikatt

Do not to write to a failing disk, do not boot it, do not repair it and do not run it unnecessarily.

This is accepted as the best procedure by professionals. It uses the dd command to put a precise copy elsewhere in a dmg image. I have used it on a very sick drive. Full details and simple instructions at:

http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20050302225659382

If necessary delay your disk replacement until this has been done.

disk utility is crashing when trying to create a new image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.