Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An unexpected error occurs when extending my network

I am trying to extend my Time Capsule with my Airport Extreme via a network cable between both units. However, when the Airport Utility finds the Airport Extreme and tried to extend the network (from the TS to include the AE), then I get the same error each time "an unexpected error occured".

Can anyone assist and help me find out what I am doing wrong? Thank you.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 3:48 AM

1 reply

Jul 20, 2012 3:04 PM in response to HoudaUAE

You do not extend the network if you are using ethernet between them..

Do not tick the extend network on the TC.. Do not use extend a network on the AEBS.

Do as follows.

1. Set the AEBS to bridge.

2. Set the wireless in the AEBS to create a network.

3. Set the wireless name and security.. here you have two choices.. but most likely you want roaming. So set them exactly the same as the TC.

4. Lock channels on both TC and the AEBS to different values. This is not 100% required but I think will help stability. The auto setting should be able to keep them from interferring.

If you actually want to use extend the network.. disconnect the ethernet.. you are repeating over wireless.

An unexpected error occurs when extending my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.