Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imessage is locked in landscape orientation

iMessage is stuck in landscape orientation. I've tried locking iPhone 3G to portrait and it affects all apps except iMessage. Any suggestions to correct this?

iPhone 3G, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 7:08 PM

I have discovered that if too many apps are open iMessage can't get locked in one orientation. To cancel apps just double click on the hardware button, then hold down any app and then press the minus sign on one or more apps to shut them down. Mid you close enough the rotation should free up.

5 replies

Jan 16, 2014 10:44 AM in response to trucksarecool

I had the same thing happen to me with my iPhone 5s with latest iOs 7. Phone was stuck in landscape mode for any app that wasn't already locked in a certain orientation. I tried closing all apps and reopening them and tried restarting several times. Nothing worked. I decided that the accelerometer must be physically broken so I decided to test it with the "compass" app. At first, it was all messed up, but then I went to the "level" app which is part of the compass. After turning the phone on it's sides several times, the accelerometer seemed to re-calibrate itself and now everything seems to work fine. Try that.

imessage is locked in landscape orientation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.