Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple's site of any real use to me?

I do have iTunes on my Windows pc. Otherwise no Apple. Why do I get connected to the Apple site when I click an icon on my desktop lableled "Safari"? Can I trash that icon with no real loss?

Apple site-OTHER, Windows XP

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 11:47 AM

2 replies

Jul 20, 2012 11:50 AM in response to birdmanicx

Do you use the Safari program to browse the web? If you do, that may be the shortcut to the program. Likely it is set to open the apple site as your default "home" location. You can always change that in the application settings. I don't use a PC nor Safari so I can't tell you where but it should be pretty obvious if you are at all familiar with using software.

Jul 20, 2012 1:05 PM in response to birdmanicx

The icon is indeed a shortcut to the Safari application. If you don't wish to use the Safari web browser, you can delete the shortcut. And Limnos is correct; Safari defaults to Apple's site as the home page, just as Internet Explorer defaults to Microsoft's site and Firefox defaults to Mozilla's. The home page is easily changed in the Safari preferences to any site you wish, or to a blank page. Or, again, you can just not use it and delete the shortcut.

Regards.

Is Apple's site of any real use to me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.