Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad (3) frozen second time...

Hello, it just happened now. My mom was playing angry birds on my new iPad and when she tried to switch to another game, unblock me, a simple puzzle game, not very graphic intensive, my iPad froze. This has happened second time now and I am kind of worried now.

First time it happened when my friend was playing 'The End' game. It froze and when I pushed sleep key, even the slide unlock key was not working. I had to restart the iPad by holding lock and home key together and to wait for apple logo to shine again.

From the day one I've also noticed that the spotlight search also lags every time and swipe it. I've bought this iPad only for work, I'm not even using any heavy apps or rating games like infinity blade etc. I don't even think I've ever used the hardware to its fullest ever.

When I buy an iPad I expect it to never freeze or hang, or I'd have bought an android, right?

So I wanted to know if this is a major problem? Should I get mine iPad replaced?

How to check if my model is faulty?

I don't really think the iStore will help me much as the guys working there sounded pretty noob, I had to tell them about the new iPad and what it could possibly do etc.

Thanks for your time.

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 12:57 PM

If you are concerned Restore your device and setup as a new device. Follow the instructions here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

iOS for me hardly freezes. If it freezes too much, that means I need to do a restore to place a fresh OS on the device. It does lag when swiping to Spotlight, I believe it is because the system is pulling up a database index of everything on the device. I cannot confirm that though.

Your expectations are a bit high in terms of never becoming unresponsive, though I believe you are right that it should not occur often. This is not a major problem. First follow the above instructions of restoring the device. If the device continues to become unresponsive multiple times per week or month, then that's when you should have yours checked.

I would not discount the Apple Store employees. If the problem continues to happen often after trying a restore, I would make an appointment with the Genius bar so the issue can be documented and cite that you have done a restore of a new device. If problems then continue then go in again even if you underestimate their knowledge, as the team is there to help you keep going. They can then verify that you have come in before and alternate solutions can be made. You are not working with just one person at an Apple Store as you can always question and ask for different solutions from the employees because they should be willing to find the solution that makes you the happiest.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 20, 2012 12:57 PM in response to vineonardo

If you are concerned Restore your device and setup as a new device. Follow the instructions here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

iOS for me hardly freezes. If it freezes too much, that means I need to do a restore to place a fresh OS on the device. It does lag when swiping to Spotlight, I believe it is because the system is pulling up a database index of everything on the device. I cannot confirm that though.

Your expectations are a bit high in terms of never becoming unresponsive, though I believe you are right that it should not occur often. This is not a major problem. First follow the above instructions of restoring the device. If the device continues to become unresponsive multiple times per week or month, then that's when you should have yours checked.

I would not discount the Apple Store employees. If the problem continues to happen often after trying a restore, I would make an appointment with the Genius bar so the issue can be documented and cite that you have done a restore of a new device. If problems then continue then go in again even if you underestimate their knowledge, as the team is there to help you keep going. They can then verify that you have come in before and alternate solutions can be made. You are not working with just one person at an Apple Store as you can always question and ask for different solutions from the employees because they should be willing to find the solution that makes you the happiest.

Jul 20, 2012 1:11 PM in response to pmca89

Thanks for your reply. I would try restoring the device if the problem persists. The reason I'm underestimating the iStore guys, is that in the country I belong, the iStores are actually run and taken care by another company, thus, many people have faced problems getting good service from them.

Also it happens to be the only istore we have in our city.

Never mind, I guess restoring the os with a newer fresh copy should help me. I'm glad to know a logical answer for spotlight search. I feel relieved to know that it's not a performance issue.

Forgive my ignorance I am new with iDevices, rather,this is my first apple product.

Thanks again.

Jul 20, 2012 1:25 PM in response to vineonardo

No worries and welcome to the Apple community. That's why Apple has these support communities. Before restoring the iPad it's nice to sync your data to a computer as you can then quickly restore your data. Information on that can be found here - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1386

If you do not have a computer there is always ways around presevering your data, though a bit more difficult.

As you do not have an official Apple Store in your country, I would suggest looking into what Apple provides you in terms of AppleCare in your country. The reason I mention this is because they will answer all your questions related to the iPad, Apple Software and Apple Services. This means technical support to a question of how to do something on the iPad such as downloading an app. This also means that Apple extends the hardware coverage of the product along with great phone support previously mentioned.

Because they are 3rd party retailers in your country, going to them will not provide Apple documentation of technical support done for the iPad. This means that if you try to replace through Apple (as they cover the manufacture's defects up to a year) they will try to provide you with the solution we previously talked about, restoring the device. Getting AppleCare will allow you to call them without charge and provides them with the technical support that's already been provided to help diagnosis a faulty unit or software problem.

New iPad (3) frozen second time...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.