Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina slowing down gradually since Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Update 1.0

I have a brand new MBP Retina 2.3 Ghz, 8Gb internally, 256 Gb SSD. All was fine. Yesterday software update shows me "Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Update". I installed it, and have rebooted at least 15 times since. What seems to happen is that WindowServer gradually eats more CPU until it reaches 100%, at which point the system is unusable and I have to restart. It is eating 100% when doing nothing, I'm just staring at my desktop.

Anyone else sees this? Anyone has tips on how to solve this?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 8 Gb RAM, 256 Gb SSD

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2012 2:43 AM

I have exactly the same issue.

Just in the process of cloning my boot drive and then planning to restore from the backup after new install of Lion from restore partition, I'm not sure if the system updates update the recovery partition, hopefully not.

The MBP/MBA update is (I think) the problem

Hopefully Apple will sort this out.

Cheers

Iain

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2012 2:43 AM in response to Remco Douma

I have exactly the same issue.

Just in the process of cloning my boot drive and then planning to restore from the backup after new install of Lion from restore partition, I'm not sure if the system updates update the recovery partition, hopefully not.

The MBP/MBA update is (I think) the problem

Hopefully Apple will sort this out.

Cheers

Iain

Jul 24, 2012 5:58 AM in response to Remco Douma

I met this problem yesterday, I bought the new 2012 Air, and I used the update called "Macbook air and macbook pro update 1.0", my air went to 100% and don't move again, I waited for about 10 minutes and restarted, it was OK for the second time.

But I don't know if it's do harm to my air, and I don't know is this update just for the LION or for the hardware.

Could someone tell me please, thanks a lot!

Jul 24, 2012 6:19 AM in response to jOSSITIX

jOSSITIX wrote:

I met this problem yesterday, I bought the new 2012 Air, and I used the update called "Macbook air and macbook pro update 1.0", my air went to 100% and don't move again, I waited for about 10 minutes and restarted, it was OK for the second time.

But I don't know if it's do harm to my air, and I don't know is this update just for the LION or for the hardware.

Could someone tell me please, thanks a lot!

It sounds to me like these issues are non-related. If I understand you correctly, your machine hung after applying "Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Update 1.0", after which you resetted the computer. That is unrelated to what we're discussing here. Our problem is that the machine becomes unusable after using it for a while. Restarting the machine solves it, but after a while it becomes unusable again.

If you still have questions about your issue, I suggest you start another topic with your question.

Jul 24, 2012 6:54 AM in response to Remco Douma

Run Console.app and see if you logging thousands of error messages per second.

Check System Preferences > Users & Groups > your account > Login Items. What is listed there?

Try creating a new account and see if you have the same problem while logged into the new account. If you don't, then the problem is specific to the original account. Try removing those login items.

Jul 24, 2012 7:42 AM in response to etresoft

Thanks, all good tips.

Console.app doesn't look 100% clean (every 5 seconds I get a line "24-07-12 11:40:23,000 kernel: SMC::smcReadKeyAction ERROR TC0D kSMCBadArgumentError(0x89) fKeyHashTable=0x0xffffff8014dc2000"). From what I gather in other threads this is not life-threatening.

I'll try your other suggestion as soon as possible; the thing is that the other user won't have my files which will be inconvenient in terms of productivity ;-)

Jul 24, 2012 3:15 PM in response to Remco Douma

Hello again,

didn't re-install Lion in the end but used Cocktail to try to clear the .DS store (for no particular reason except is was an option and had something to do with windows!!!). Though the log from cocktail said it didn't clear the .DS store successfully or rather not completely it does seem to have calmed down the problem somewhat.

I'm still studying activity monitor to see if things are fixed in the long term so we'll see.

cheers

Iain

PS does anyone know if system updates update the system in the recovery partition??

Aug 6, 2012 3:37 AM in response to Remco Douma

Hi all,

I had a similiar problem. Recieved my brand new MBPR (2.7, 16GB RAM, 768 SSD) last week. OSX Lion 10.7.4 factory-installed. Migrated my User Documents and Settings (not Applications) from my old 17" MBP, then ran the Software updates (including the "MBP and MBA Update".

The new Retina was fast as ****, but only for the first 30 seconds or so. EVERYTHING slowed down after that, Safari, Mail, Finder, mounting Images - beachball every time.

Checked the Activity monitor, nothing too strange there (windows_server NOT bumping up to 100% CPU).

Checked the Console, lots of entries, but nothing I deemed serious.

So before I was about to give up and return it, I thought I'd give Mountain Lion a shot. Ran the Update yesterday, and voilla, everything's fine. I had originally planned on not updating to ML, but now the systems running, not a worry since.

Macbook Pro Retina slowing down gradually since Macbook Air and Macbook Pro Update 1.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.