9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2012 11:18 PM by James Diefenderfer
James Diefenderfer Level 4 Level 4 (2,265 points)

Untitled.png

Gang,

I need help. No matter how many times I have reinstalled both OS 10.7 and iPhoto (9.0 and/or 11) both of these appear when I click and hold the iPhoto App Icon in the dock. See the iPhoto Library AND the iPhoto Library Directory (folder). When I select the iPhoto Dir. nothing happens but when I select the normal iPhoto Library the application opens and all of the photos are shown. I have searched for the Dir but it does not show up anywhere. Can someone please offer some ideas on what needs to be done?

TIA,

James

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (252,640 points)

If it exists it would be in the /Home/Pictures/ folder but most likely it's something you opened on another hard drive or another booted drive. You might just reset the Dock.

1. Open your /Home/Library/Preferences/ folder and move the com.apple.dock.plist to theTrash.
    2. Open Terminal, located in the Utilities folder.
    3. At the prompt, paste the following command:

killall Dock

Press RETURN. The Dock will quit and relaunch.

Empty theTrash.

• James Diefenderfer Level 4 Level 4 (2,265 points)

Thank you Kappy.

I have no such .plist.......the only one with "dock" in the name is

file://localhost/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dockfixup.plist

I did run the terminal command but no change.

??

Now I have .DS_Store and .localized on her desktop. What are these and how do i get rid of them?????

You are not in the right folder. You want the /Home/Library/ folder. If you can't find it them do this:

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder.  At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

Thanks again Kappy. I did find them and did all of this. Painful. Had to recreate her dock again. It did not change anything. All is the same. Except now I have all of these files and directories unhidden everywhere. How do I hide everything again?

What files and directories? Did you use some other procedure to display all invisible files?

unhidden.png

See example.....

Enable Finder to Show Invisible Files and Folders

Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder.  At the prompt enter or paste the following command line then press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

killall Finder

To turn off the display of invisible files and folders enter or paste the following command line and press RETURN.

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

killall Finder

Alternatively you can use one of the numerous third-party utilities such as TinkerTool or ShowHideInvisibleFiles - VersionTracker or MacUpdate.

Thank you again Kappy. This fixed the unhidden files problem. Now, if only I can fix the original iPhoto problem. Arghhhhh....