4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2012 4:51 AM by Barney-15E
asyal11 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi, my Retina Macbook Pro is scheduled to arrive between August 3 and August 9th. In the event that Mountain Lion is not pre installed, can I do a clean install before I set up my user account and all the other stuff? I would do this by downloading the installer.app from my other computer and creating a bootable USB drive. Is this a good idea, or should I just set it up first, then do a clean install? Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.7.4)
  • Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (247,625 points)

It will come to you with a clean install. Why would you do a clean install?

• asyal11 Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Just incase it comes with lion. I want to start fresh with mountain lion.

• Kappy Level 10 Level 10 (247,625 points)

When Mountain Lion is available you can simply upgrade Lion. There is no reason to do a clean install.

• Barney-15E Level 8 Level 8 (40,340 points)

asyal11 wrote:

Hi, my Retina Macbook Pro is scheduled to arrive between August 3 and August 9th. In the event that Mountain Lion is not pre installed, can I do a clean install before I set up my user account and all the other stuff? I would do this by downloading the installer.app from my other computer and creating a bootable USB drive. Is this a good idea, or should I just set it up first, then do a clean install? Thanks!

It is possible that the download on the other Mac won't have the necessary drivers for your new MacBook Pro. However, Since they've been released, it is likely the base Mountain Lion might work.

However, erasing the drive also erases all the bundled software. You'd have to then go to the  Mac App Store and reinstall all the iLife programs that came pre-installed. I don't know how the App Store keeps track of bundled software licenses, but if it is tied to the OS somehow, you might have to purchase the iLife apps because of your desire to "clean" install.

Since there are almost no good reasons to do a clean install on a Mac, especially one that is fresh from the box, you are just causing yourself lots of problems by doing so.