Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Jump cut for h.264 video not working - Codec issue?

Hi guys,

New to the forum (and relatively new to iMovie 11 - just bought a new MacBook around a week ago and have been playing around with it ever since). I have a 12 second clip, part of a 3 minute video with a background song on it, that I'd like to use the "Jump Cut at Beat Markers" feature on. All clips are imported from a Canon DSLR, so they're in the 1080p 30fps H.264 codec. I currently have Snap to Beats disabled, but Snap to Ends and Audio Skimming enabled within the project. The 12 second clip has 13 beat markers across it, with one occurring right at the beginning of the clip. There are no transitions between this clip and the clip before or after. The clip has been analyzed for stability and some crop has been placed on it (108%).

What I'm finding when I select the clip in the Project view is that I can select the "Jump Cut at Beat Markers" feature for any frame length (3 to 30 frames), but it has no affect on my clip. I've checked this forum for similar problems, and have viewed many of the Suprt and YouTube demo videos, which haven't provided a solution.

My initial thought was that this may have to do with the h.264 codec, which I know has some issues in iMovie. So I "converted" the clip natively in iMovie (found this feature when trying to slow/speed up the clip in the Clip Adjustments window - though I'm not sure exactly what it's being converted to) - still no luck. However, I tried converting the clip to AIC (via MPEG Streamclip), re-importing to the same part of the project, and trying the feature again to no avail. At this point, I'm stumped. Any suggestions? Did I convert to AIC inappropriately? Is that even the issue? I've run out of scenarios to try!

Thanks for all your help!

iMovie '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:58 PM

There are no replies.

Jump cut for h.264 video not working - Codec issue?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.