Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro won't connect to Bose Soundlink

The Bose representative walked me through the process and it worked once. This morning when I went to system preferences to select the Bose instead of the internal speakers nothing happened. Bose is still listed in the Bluetooth list but it's always noted as Not Connected. Then Bose disappeared from the sound preference choices so I'm back to square one.

iPod (5th generation)

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 2:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 2:32 AM

I had the same problem with my Bose Soundlink. In my case it got itself confused and then would not connect. After trial and error, I eventually figured out that it's related to the way it connects. There is a specific sequence of things you need to do to make it connect (otherwise it ends up in a confused state).

If it won't connect (Mac reports something like "cannot connect to audio device"), try this:

1. Hold the bluetooth button on the Bose for 3 seconds (the bluetooth icon will start flashing).

2. On the Mac, click the bluetooth icon (or go to the settings), find the soundlink and click on use as audio device. You should hear it playing.

If it isn't working (like it did for me), then the best thing is to reset both the Bose (clear it's memory) and remove the Soundlink from the bluetooth settings. Full instructions are here (under bluetooth troubleshooting):

http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/soundlink_wireless_mobile/pag e.html

Essentially:

1. Hold the bluetooth button for 10 seconds - you will hear a beep from the speaker.

2. Remove the speaker from the Mac Bluetooth settings panel

3. Hold the mute button for 10 seconds - you will see the LEDs on the speaker flash.

This resets everything to Manufacturer status (i.e. before you got it) and now you can connect normally.

It's a pain to have to do this every time - I nearly took mine back. But after trial and error, I managed to work out the right sequence of steps to get it to connect each and every time, perfectly (see the first few steps up above).

Good luck!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2012 2:32 AM in response to JJaffa

I had the same problem with my Bose Soundlink. In my case it got itself confused and then would not connect. After trial and error, I eventually figured out that it's related to the way it connects. There is a specific sequence of things you need to do to make it connect (otherwise it ends up in a confused state).

If it won't connect (Mac reports something like "cannot connect to audio device"), try this:

1. Hold the bluetooth button on the Bose for 3 seconds (the bluetooth icon will start flashing).

2. On the Mac, click the bluetooth icon (or go to the settings), find the soundlink and click on use as audio device. You should hear it playing.

If it isn't working (like it did for me), then the best thing is to reset both the Bose (clear it's memory) and remove the Soundlink from the bluetooth settings. Full instructions are here (under bluetooth troubleshooting):

http://worldwide.bose.com/productsupport/en_us/web/soundlink_wireless_mobile/pag e.html

Essentially:

1. Hold the bluetooth button for 10 seconds - you will hear a beep from the speaker.

2. Remove the speaker from the Mac Bluetooth settings panel

3. Hold the mute button for 10 seconds - you will see the LEDs on the speaker flash.

This resets everything to Manufacturer status (i.e. before you got it) and now you can connect normally.

It's a pain to have to do this every time - I nearly took mine back. But after trial and error, I managed to work out the right sequence of steps to get it to connect each and every time, perfectly (see the first few steps up above).

Good luck!

Jul 21, 2012 2:14 AM in response to JJaffa

Is this what you did:

1. On your Mac, System Preferences>Bluetooth>Bluetooth On>"Show Bluetooth status in the menu bar" and "Discoverable".
  2. Press and hold the Bluetooth button for 3 seconds on the SoundLink and pair it with the Mac by clicking the plus sign on the Bluetooth settings on your Mac.
  3. Once paired click on the Bluetooth icon on the Mac's Menu Bar and choose Bose Soundlink and select "Use as audio device".

Sep 21, 2017 8:50 AM in response to JJaffa

I had the same issue a couple days ago.

I tried all of the reset settings written in this and because the Bose SoundLink Color,

was playing sound from other platforms, I wouldn't give up with the MacBook Pro (2011,) I began doing simple tests, playing sound effects through the MacBook Pro worked however streaming did not work. That isolated the issue to the streaming videos, ultimately finding that Safari will not play audio to the Bose SoundLink Color, after attempting to figure out why, I began using Chrome and it plays to the Bose fine. So in addition to the archived reset, in particular for the Bose SoundLink Color, another browser may be beneficial.

Jul 21, 2012 2:10 AM in response to JJaffa

Try going to Bluetooth under System Preferences and, if the speakers are already setup, delete the connection using the minus key. Then open Bluetooth Assistant by clicking on the plus key and see if your Bluetooth speakers are found. If they are, it should be simple to set them up as your primary speakers. Note that if you restart when away from the speakers you may get a message that they cannot be found but they should be found when you are again near the speakers.

Good luck,

Clinton

Aug 10, 2015 3:26 PM in response to CalvinH69

Hi,

This still doesn't fix the issue for me. I've narrowed the music stopping and starting when I have either Safari or Chrome open and I have some kind of web activity. I have reset the headset device, removed it from the mac etc and the problem persists.

The headphones are running the latest version of the software.

I only get this issue on my macbook air, it is fine on iPad and iPhone 6.

May 19, 2016 7:11 AM in response to JJaffa

Hi! What worked for me is to look for any upgrade in the software at samsung.com which in my case was found in the download section here:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/HW-H550/ZA

What I downloaded was: Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) ver.1007.5 - All OS (MULTI LANGUAGE, 1.47 MB)

and then I followed these instructions carefully:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/201308/20130807195910364/USB_Upgrad e_Guide_English.pdf

So basically, I upgraded a file in the sound system by connecting a flash drive with the upgrade in it, which in my case was a .ROM file. The sound system does it automatically, and it is very easy, just read the instructions above. Afterwards, the pairing started to work perfectly with all my devices.

MacBook Pro won't connect to Bose Soundlink

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.