5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2012 1:03 PM by Cosman
Cosman Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

This may sound dumb, but I can't figure out what iCloud is good for.  I know it is a server "in the Cloud" that can store all kinds of info, but I can't find anything it will do for me, even though there are a lot of things I wish it would do.

Let me explain.  I am a scientist.  I own no "i" devices, just 4 mac computers in 3 different places.  I don't listen to music or watch movies online.  I haven't ever bought anything from the iTunes store.  I may buy SW online in the future from the Cloud, but not yet.

So, what good is iCloud to me?  I really don't know.  It would be  nice if I could post documents to it and retriever them elsewhere.  Like a file transfer between computers.  Or an email repository.

Can any one tell me what iCloud can do if you don't do the IOS stuff?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), I7, 8GB, 750GB, Lion
  • 1. Re: Confused.  What is iCloud good for?
    uselessSABOTAGE Level 4 Level 4 (3,680 points)

You can use iCloud to keep your calendar/contacts/bookmarks/mail (for an icloud email account) and other things in sync across your macs.  You can also use icloud.com to store/move documents across multiple devices.  However in my opinion www.dropbox.com will offer you better file storage/movement options. 

• 2. Re: Confused.  What is iCloud good for?
    Julian Wright Level 7 Level 7 (34,850 points)

You can use it for email, and for keeping your contacts, calendars, reminders and bookmarks in sync across multiple Mac computers.

You can also use it to locate a stolen Mac.

When Mountain Lion is released later this month, iCloud compatible apps will be able to save documents directly to iCloud meaning they will instantly become available on all your other Macs.

• 3. Re: Confused.  What is iCloud good for?

Thanks for the comments.  One problem I have is that I have three Macs that won't take SL or ML, but my newest one will (Christmas '11).  I just noted that my Calendar is already in the iCloud.

I don't use Safari because I like SeaMonkey better.  It allows immediate switching between browsing and mail and HTML editing, with only one pgm showing in the switcher (CMD-tab).  So, I guess all the Safari features won't be much use to me.

It looks like I need to upgrade iWorks to '09.  I have '08.  I wonder if '09 on a 2007 Mini will talk to the cloud?

• 4. Re: Confused.  What is iCloud good for?
    William Schofield Level 1 Level 1 (65 points)

One thing to watch out for is that iCloud only comes with 25G of storage.  In the process of upgrading my mail account filled up that space, and now all the other apps are locked up from trying to sync.  If you have multiple devices, most of which won't support iCloud, you might want to wait until they are all replaced before moving this direction.

• 5. Re: Confused.  What is iCloud good for?

That's what I am thinking.  iCloud will be little help until all my devices can run SL or ML, which will take years.