Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Look inside a zip file without extracting everything

I often have to work with large zip archives that are really compressed installation kits, and I need to look inside, i.e. see the internal directory structure and files in the archive.

On Windows I can do that using any of the classic zipping tools (Winzip of 7z) or even just let the Explorer sjhow the content of a zip file just as if it was another folder.

That is not possible on MacOS. All I can do is open it with the Archive utility (or the Unarchiver tool). Both will automatically fully extract the contents of the archive on disk (and the Archive utility even deletes the original zip archive).

One nice extension to the Finder would for it to work like Windows' explorer and automatically show the content of the archive.

Meanwhile does anyone have a good recommendation for a tool with functionality similar to that of WinZIP or 7zip to let me look inside an archive without fully extracting it to disk ? The Unarchiver tool doest not do that.

Albert

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply
4 replies

Look inside a zip file without extracting everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.