Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CHANGE SUPPORT COMMUNITY USERNAME APPLE!

DEAR APPLE,

THERE ARE OVER 20 threads complaining to change there usernames. Can you allow everyone to change there usernames one time, and we have to give a good reason why we want to change it. I have my old user name "Masterkiller247" but I changed my apple I'd to "iCore24". I really really want my username to be "iCore24" to match my apple Id. I don't want to make a fake apple Id and email to just make a new account. Please do something, we've been complaining for years.

Sincerely,

Loyal Apple Customers

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 9:56 PM

28 replies

Jul 22, 2012 1:29 PM in response to iCore24

Hi,

In exceptional circumstances the Hosts will make changes to an Posting name.

Posters who have obtained level 2 or above can "report posts" for various reasons for the Hosts to make a decsion on.

I have done so in this case as you current ID make be considered in bad taste.

User uploaded file
9:29 PM Sunday; July 22, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Lion 10.7.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Aug 17, 2012 11:52 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Umm,

I see this name has not been changed.

I have also been emailed by another poster regarding the same idea (in this case misspelt name) and getting it changed.

I would point out that any Level 2 poster or above can use the "Report Post button" which in turn gives several predetermined options and a free text area to make a point.

Generally Names (i.e Posting Aliases) are not changed although it has been known that the Hosts will do so it in extreme circumstances.

My view about this particular thread was although the name of the Original Poster might have been a gaming reference, it may also have been regarded as in "Bad Taste" by some section of the American readership due to recent events around the time the post was made.

On that basis I "reported" the Post but it seems the Hosts have not acted.

I am only a Poster, albeit a fairly regular one, the same as everyone else here.

I have no actual powers to get the Hosts to act upon this.

User uploaded file
7:52 PM Friday; August 17, 2012

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 18, 2012 1:45 PM in response to babowa

This (abandoning the Name) would be the normal suggested action.

I did wonder if the Hosts had in fact banned the Name but it remained as it had not been changed (An that I was keeping "Alive" by reporting).

As has been said the ID can be changed in some circumstances (Apple Issued IDs such a @mac.com and @me.com cannot along with some IDs linked to iCloud IDs).

However the "Nickname" as it is called on one page is accessible by the Hosts but not the Users

I can understand why Apple do not do this wholesale and basically wish the names were created once and once only.

The Software behind the Apple Support Communities is similar to that used by Facebook

Although Facebook does have a larger user base they do suffer from this problem

http://article.wn.com/view/2012/08/02/BBC_News_Facebook_has_more_than_83_million _fake_users/

I can understand that Apple would want to avoid similar percentages.

They have taken steps to make sure the "Reputation" system cannot be "gamed" to any great extent (people can create second and third (and more) accounts and respond to their own posts and the then award points)

At the same time I can see that people do not always see the notice to say it is permanent.

I also understand that a name that seems cool when you are 13 (youngest you can join) may not be as cool when you are fourteen or even 25

As regular posters we can only say what the current "Rules" are and what you can do the situation.

(mostly Abandon a lowly ranked name and create a new ID and Posting Alias)

And state that we or higher Ranked Poster can "report" the Post. (or the name itself).

20th July this happened

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

On the 22nd the Poster asked to change his name...

I saw this as a legitimate request.

Each post of this nature should be treated on it's merit.

User uploaded file
9:45 PM Saturday; August 18, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Aug 18, 2012 2:25 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

HI.

Does not seem to be that as an email has arrives and has the "right" minute in the time.

User uploaded file
10:25 PM Saturday; August 18, 2012

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Nov 18, 2012 12:01 PM in response to iCore24

Agreed. I am not aware of any way to change the Apple Support Community forum username. I believe you are required to create a new Apple I.D. This is unfortunate as there are a scenarios where you would want to change your forum username, like a change of an old business, or school based name affiliation.

I wish Apple would change this, or at least give an email request option to a forum administrator.

Aug 20, 2015 12:17 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi,

It stops people changing their visible ID to look like other people.

If people were allowed to change all the time then sooner or later duplicates would have to be allowed.

It was done mainly to stop gaming of the system that had taken place under previous software versions ago (that run the boards).

But as you say direct confirmation from the Hosts s difficult to come by.

@ Bhju

You are equally entitled to misspell whatever you want.

User uploaded file

8:17 p.m. Thursday; August 20, 2015

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 20, 2015 1:24 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Howdy Ralph - good to see you again

I think I see your distinction - subtly made though it is 😉 - "... to look like other people ..."

If Bhju were to be allowed to change it to anything, anytime - he(or she) could change it to " ChitlinsCCC " and, were of nefarious intent, might fool some people as if * I * were being mischievous and villainous.

With or without confirmation, that reason alone is good enough for me!

BUT - the weakness in that policy is that a NEW Apple ID could still be created resembling any current Apple ID.*

The overall 'policy' of "only for really good reasons" seems to be relaxing somewhat though.

BTW, you could no longer have the parentheses in your username if creating a new Apple ID > today* < here's why:

Yesterday, I observed a UserName that had some non-displaying character in it - the name was " Joshua_ " (the underscore being that character). Upon "reporting" my curiosity, the name was rapidly changed to random letters.

Our 'teen scientist" Ethan identified the character as an Andorid Emoji !!! He then was able to create a new Apple ID with ONLY Emoji characters (now also random letters).

'Communicating' with Hosts confirmed that Emoji were indeed "illegal" characters. End of Host comms.

*Just before I replied to you here, I tested what would happen if I tried to create an Apple ID with a variation of YOUR username... when I keyed the open parenthesis " ( " it did not appear in the field. Turns out the form field params are now set to only allow letters, numbers & MAYBE punctuation(did not test)

Just think, you are grandfathered in 🙂

Buenos tardes, amigo

ÇÇÇ

Aug 20, 2015 1:50 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Hi,

I am sure my granddaughter would like to know I was "grandfathered" in. 😉

Of course nowadays many of the Emoji are created the same way Chinese characters are made using 2 character combos to display them.

The software here also now uses keystrokes to create the basic smilies.

I am sure it the combos that does this that are being aimed at (they disappeared from iChat 5 in Status Messages - they can be shown at your end but are not transmitted now).

Requests like this one have been appearing regularly since the current software was introduced.

The Hosts have been known to change some but the reasoning of those can also be obscure sometimes.

Apple have this page https://supportprofile.apple.com/ but most of the features are turned Off.

You can no longer change the Apple Support Email you use (where as you could some time back) (i.e. make it different from the Apple ID or Recovery email)

The page also seems reluctant to load fully now either.

User uploaded file

9:50 p.m. Thursday; August 20, 2015

​  iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Aug 20, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

[ my comments threaded into yours ]

I am sure my granddaughter would like to know I was "grandfathered" in.

Gimme her email - I'll tell her! MY Granddaughter figured out how to FaceTime her Mom's iPhone in about 3 minutes playing with her Great-NaNa's iPad(cellular) in the back set fo NaNa's car - she was barely 4 years old.

Of course nowadays many of the Emoji are created the same way Chinese characters are made using 2 character combos to display them.

To be clear, regardless of method of entry - keystrokes or copy/paste or whatever - Emoji = no no

- no good can come of not controlling what Font is 'display-able', methinx

The software here also now uses keystrokes to create the basic smilies.

I am sure it the combos that does this that are being aimed at (they disappeared from iChat 5 in Status Messages - they can be shown at your end but are not transmitted now).

Let's also be reminded that JiveWare & its Rich Text editor (TinyMCE) are unique in AppleWebWorld to the ASC discussions - other "form fields" are outside the 'subdomain' " discussions.apple.com" - Apple ID creation is in " appleid.apple.com " = unrelated (unless you know something I don't)

the only reference to Jive in the source of that page is:

----[emphasis mine]

input id="nickname" name="account.person.name.nickName" aria-invalid="false" name="account.person.name.nickName" data-vtype="jiveUsername" type="text" value="" autocomplete="off"

The page also seems reluctant to load fully now either.

Recently (since the appearance of "The Bag") I have had MANY instances of reluctance and down right failures ('proxy error' page with "GET:such and such" as the error message

Heavy Sigh

Have a good'un

ÇÇÇ

CHANGE SUPPORT COMMUNITY USERNAME APPLE!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.