Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get Spam folder in Apple Mail?

I received some important emails in my spam folders when I checked them with Safari, but Apple mail does not have them in Inbox or Junk folder. How to get Spam folder in Apple Mail?

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:03 PM

In the mailbox list, below the word "MAILBOXES" and the standard mailboxes (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, & Junk), you should have some lines like "SMART MAILBOXES", "REMINDERS", "RSS", "ON MY MAC", and a line with the name of each of your mail accounts. Each of those lines may have subordinate lines indented below it, or they may be hidden. Before Lion, the top-level lines would have standard disclosure triangles to their left like folders, but Lion Mail removed that visual clue in favor of a word "Show" or "Hide" to the right that appears only when you mouse over it.

The Gmail Spam folder you seek is two folders deep inside your Gmail account.

Here's my Gmail account listing:

User uploaded file

It has 41 unread messages. If I hover my cursor over the oval with "41" in it, the oval shifts left and "Show" appears. If I click on "Show", I get this:

User uploaded file

If I click on the disclosure triangle left of the "[Gmail]" folder, voila!

User uploaded file

By the way, this intermediate "[Gmail]" folder is specific to Gmail, Google Apps mail sites, and other mail sites using Google's Gmail code, as is the All Mail folder. Other servers will have their own folder structure.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2012 10:03 PM in response to nobutan

In the mailbox list, below the word "MAILBOXES" and the standard mailboxes (Inbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash, & Junk), you should have some lines like "SMART MAILBOXES", "REMINDERS", "RSS", "ON MY MAC", and a line with the name of each of your mail accounts. Each of those lines may have subordinate lines indented below it, or they may be hidden. Before Lion, the top-level lines would have standard disclosure triangles to their left like folders, but Lion Mail removed that visual clue in favor of a word "Show" or "Hide" to the right that appears only when you mouse over it.

The Gmail Spam folder you seek is two folders deep inside your Gmail account.

Here's my Gmail account listing:

User uploaded file

It has 41 unread messages. If I hover my cursor over the oval with "41" in it, the oval shifts left and "Show" appears. If I click on "Show", I get this:

User uploaded file

If I click on the disclosure triangle left of the "[Gmail]" folder, voila!

User uploaded file

By the way, this intermediate "[Gmail]" folder is specific to Gmail, Google Apps mail sites, and other mail sites using Google's Gmail code, as is the All Mail folder. Other servers will have their own folder structure.

Aug 9, 2012 6:29 PM in response to markwmsn

markwmsn and anyone else out there

I was wondering whether you could please help me too?

I have a similar problem to nobutan.

I have a few email accounts that I direct to Apple Mail.

All are gmail accounts.

Two of the gmail accounts are in the 'account listing.' For example, I could see the 'GMAIL ACCOUNT BY IMAP' (but mine has a different name) for two of my email accounts.

But for the third gmail account - it does not appear in the capital letters on my account listing.

All my gmail emails show up in my inbox, but this one gmail account does not have its own line items in capital letters.

I would like it to have its own line so I can quickly check the spam account.

Can you please tell me how I can get it to show up?

Many thanks

Jan 4, 2013 4:15 PM in response to William Donelson

William Donelson wrote:

When stuff goes into my Gmail Spam folder, I have to (a) click to unhide the contents, (b) click to open the Google Mail folder, (c) click to open the Spam folder, (d) click on the Spam, and (e) delete the spam.

Is there a faster, easier way to get rid of this spam?

I just let them alone. Gmail itself will delete them after a month.

Jan 4, 2013 5:48 PM in response to William Donelson

You could set Mail > Preferences > General > Dock unread count to "Inbox Only" so the unread messages in the spam folder are not counted.

Alternatively, you could save a few steps if you leave the "[Gmail]" folder open (bypassing step "b") and right-click the Spam folder and choose "Mark All Messages as Read" (collapsing steps "c-e" into one compound step).

Jun 14, 2013 11:22 PM in response to nobutan

How can make the Mac Mail Junk folder visible? --- see bottom, I just found it.

I show no Junk folder at all on 2 of my Macs but it's there on 1 Mac. I have Mountain Lion on all 3 Macs, latest patch and am usiing Gmail also. Now I just learned from above how to find the Gmail Spam mailbox so that's great to know. Thanks for that.

It appears that Gmail applies their filtering and puts stuff in their Spam box which is the same as I would see in a browser.

Then Mac Mail does its filtering on all mail passed in from Gmail and marks a few as junk. On my MBA I can see the regular Inbox and the Junk folder with messages filtered out by Mac Mail and I can see the Spam folder down under Gmail as described. It's above under Inbox, ... , Sent, Junk, Trash.

But on my Mini and iMac no Junk folder, just Inbox, ... , Sent, Trash. Is there an option somewhere to show / not show Junk folder?

----

AHA! Yes, in Mail -> Preferences under the Junk Mail tab is:

When junk mail arrives:

- Mark as junk and leave in Inbox ---- if this is selected, no Junk mailbox appears

- Move it to the Junk mailbox ---- select this and the Junk mailbox pops up.

I decided to leave this in since someone else may find it useful. Maybe me next year when I forget. ;-)

Thanks much for any help.

-deac

How to get Spam folder in Apple Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.