Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On 21" 2011 iMac, when I make it sleep, it waits 29 seconds before going black, is that normal?

On 21" 2011 iMac, when I make it sleep, it waits 29 seconds before going black, is that normal?

iMac Intel Core Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 3:32 AM

11 replies

Jul 23, 2012 2:08 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I did the SMC and PRAM reset and nothing has changed. It still takes 20 seconds before the screen goes black. I'm just wondering if all 21.5 inch iMacs are supposed to do that, or are there some that sleep immediately? But I am happy to hear you say that "I wouldn't worry about it." I wonder if I should disconnect my external time machine backup drive, and then see if it still takes 20 seconds to go black. Thanks. Charlie.

Jul 23, 2012 3:12 AM in response to Charlie7

Charlie,

No it's not a good idea to disconnect the TM drive, I would recommend keeping it connected. A couple of things that may affect how quickly it sleeps is how many apps are running, personally I only have a couple of apps running at a time so my system goes to sleep almost immediately. Another thing I do is I only put the display to sleep, I have done this for 5 years and again it works great. Below is a screen shot my of sleep settings, also note I like to use keyboard shortcuts. One of my favorites is the Sleep Command which is Control - Shift - Eject which puts my display asleep immediately.

User uploaded file

Jul 24, 2012 3:58 AM in response to rkaufmann87

The only reason I ask about the sleep issue is because my previous iMac, 4,1 from 2006 when put to sleep seemed quieter. My new 21" iMac is still running when it's asleep. Something in there is running, I can hear it. Why does it keep running when it's supposed to be asleep? My old one didn't do that. If it's normal I don't care. But if it's not getting its proper good night's sleep, I'm worried about it. ;-) It's my baby. ;-)

Jul 24, 2012 5:09 AM in response to Charlie7

I understand Charlie, well I'm not there to diagnose or hear it. You didn't mention this was a new machine, if it's less than 90 days old you have free AppleCare coverage (unless of course you already bought AppleCare for it) so you should give them a call. The phone number is in your owners manual. They can help you determine if there is a problem or not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.