Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Snow Leopard End Of Life Thread

Hi Everybody,

Mountain Lion is going to be released very soon, and I've already made up my mind that I'm just going to continue to run Snow Leopard on my iMac and Macbook Pro regardless. I don't need or want any of the features that Lion or Mountain Lion add, and I think that SL is a near perfect OS.

Maybe Apple's next series of OS'es will offer something I want and can use, but this current trend disappoints me.

So I wrote this thread for those of us who wish to continue using SL...

Any problems due to receding support?

Any bugs or glitches that have been fixed in Lion and Mountain Lion that continuing SL users can repair without upgrading to a new OS (workarounds, etc.)?

Anybody feeling abandoned?

I use Apple hardware running Apple OS, but do not plan to use Apple apps (App Store Stuff, iMovie, etc.) so I'm not worried about missing out on improvements in that stuff that will only work on the newer OS'es, and syncing stuff with iPhone or iPad isn't an issue either 'cause I don't use an iPhone or iPad. Even if I did, I'd be more invested in sync'ing iOS stuff with other iOS stuff only. Somehow the idea of turning my computers into oversized iPhones or iPads strikes me as kludgy.

So... That's where I'm at. Anybody else?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.7), 27" Intel

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 2:45 AM

9 replies

Jul 22, 2012 3:38 AM in response to alwaysforever

I agree with you. I have 10.6.8 on iMac. One of the experts here somewhere reckoned we should be OK for a couple of years or so. What I did was put a bootable clone on a spare external drive and installed Lion on that to fiddle about with. Which I hardly do, seems a waste of time. No doubt will update (the clone) to Mountain Lion. At some point I suppose it might be necessary to adjust to the New Look. That's the way it's going. Microsoft is doing the same.

Aug 4, 2012 7:39 AM in response to alwaysforever

I have a Early 2011 17" MacBook Pro with 10.6.8, it's faster than the dickens.

Trying to impose a touchscreen UI onto a desktop OS is moronic, 10.7, 10.8, Ubuntu's "Unity" and Windows 8 are complete UI failures.

I have a weathering plan that should last me the next decade, I am considering buying my first Windows PC tower (that I actually leave Windows 7 on)

I use Firefox and the broadband tweaks (search for 10x faster firefox) which is updated often and even faster than Safari. I have Little Snitch installed.

I have several hold option key bootable 10.6 clones (Carbon Copy Cloner, Superduper), a couple of DVD copies of my original 10.6 install disks in protected plastic cases. (search online for how to copy OS X instal disks)

I don't do any online banking at all as computers are notoriously insecure regardless to be trusting my money to them.

I run as Standard User, so if malware gets in there only I can log into Admin and delete the account.

If I get rooted, I can boot from one of the write protected OS X install disks and Zero the entire drive and reverse clone from one of my many clones.

I can also install Deep Freeze, which upon a reboot will set the hard rive bits back to the frozen state, eliminating malware and any changes.

I have all the software I need, if I need more and it won't install into 10.6, then that's why I have Windows 7 in a virtual machine. Windows 7 will be supported for another decade easy because corporations are not liking Windows 8 neither.

Over 50% of OS x users are on 10.6, and 10.6 will be the majority OS X version for some time because Apple switched to a annual OS X release cycle with 10.7, thus they only sold 30% of their machines in a year with 10.7.

Since Apple stopped selling 10.7 online, that 30% is pretty much frozen now as 10.8 starts selling on new hardware.

I'm guessing a year from now when 10.9 is released that 10.8 will have 30% of the market. Leaving 10.6 with about 40%. 10.5 a few percentage on PPC still, 10.4 users will be gone as their machnes die off finally.

If Apple denies 10.6 users timely security updates, then there will simply be another larger Flashback-like botnet and another black eye on Apple's famous security.

It's because Apple denied security updates for older OS X versions and Java that 600,000 Macs and Cupertino HQ was compromised, if they didn't learn their lesson from that then they quite frankly don't deserve our business anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_BackDoor.Flashback

Harden your Mac against malware attacks

Aug 4, 2012 11:42 PM in response to hpr3

hpr3 wrote:

You forgot one thing........... An Air raid shelter in case of nuclear attack! 😉

In that case, tell me where ground zero will be, because I don't want to spend another 20 something years giving it all out for another computer company again only to have them to decide they think they know better than their own customers what we want. 😝

Aug 16, 2012 5:34 AM in response to alwaysforever

I have several Macs at home and I don't see me buying Macs any time sooner or even ever, I really like Snow Leopard, and the way Apps works on Macs, but the last years Apple Inc. Policy just makes me scream.

- Apple don't give updates for iLife, iWork, Apple Aperture, because they want you to force to the Mountain Lion, or even buy a new computer, even Safari, a simple web browser don't have updates.

Apple was never like this, it was a inventive company that makes us wish to have the latest OS, now that seems vanish, they are putting every company in court arguing things like corner icons design instead of working on better Mac OS and support. These days I have better support on my Macs from BootCamp Windows than with My Mac OS X, this is ridiculous!

Quality output from iMovie 08, 09, 11 is a ugly shadow from iMovie 06 HD, mostly notice in dark side of images as several people talk all over the web, I have contacted Apple About this for some time with no answer at all. I guess you have to spend money on Final Cut Pro X to get at least similiar quality as your imported media.

The ripe of Fron Row as media hub on Macs without notice, the java lack of support, no iremote on new notebooks that really is useful when working with keynote, all this was on a simple MacBook package, now the prices are higher and with less hardware.

I ask my self what Mac OS X and Apple ecosystem gives me that the others don't, and this days the answer is not positive for Apple World, at least for me.

Snow Leopard End Of Life Thread

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.