Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto doesn't load maps

Hi!

Since some weeks iPhoto (8.1.2 on MacBook White late 2007+OSX 10.7.4) doesn't load maps in Places.

In the same way if I click on informations button (right bottom angle of the thumbnail) the window inform me about the place (eg. Fifth Ave. NYC), but the map doesn't appear.

I verified that firewall allows iPhoto's connections and I also tried to disable Firewall: no different results.

MacBook White, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 4:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 11:00 AM

I know the following will work with iPhoto 9 (11) but not sure if it will with iPhoto 8:

Go to Safari's Privacy preferenc pane and click on the Details button for cookies. In the next window do a Search for Google and delete all Google cookies. Relaunch Safari and iPhoto and try the Manage my Places feature again.

If you log into a Google account online at a later date you'll have to repeat the process above.

OT

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 22, 2012 11:00 AM in response to P@olo

I know the following will work with iPhoto 9 (11) but not sure if it will with iPhoto 8:

Go to Safari's Privacy preferenc pane and click on the Details button for cookies. In the next window do a Search for Google and delete all Google cookies. Relaunch Safari and iPhoto and try the Manage my Places feature again.

If you log into a Google account online at a later date you'll have to repeat the process above.

OT

Dec 7, 2015 8:53 AM in response to thmayr

The solution to your problem is entirely different to the previous posts in this topic since they are over 3 year old.

iPhoto 9.4.3 and earlier began to crash for many users all of a a number of weeks ago. There is a problem with the Places feature, because the the contract between Apple and Google for use of their maps with iPhoto for locations has been discontinued. Apple now uses its own Maps

Try Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM

Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me.

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources (Control (right)-click on the iPhoto app and select Show Contents in the contextual menu - OT.)

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

iPhoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. Going offline does obviously do the same. So it is pretty clear, that something happened on Google's end.

Be sure to make a backup copy of the iPhoto application before attempting this procedure.

Beginning with iPhoto 9.5.1 Apple uses it's own Maps for locations. You can upgrade to El Capitan and the new Photos 1.2 application which uses Apple's Maps and works as expected.

User uploaded file

iPhoto doesn't load maps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.