Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find duplicate photos across two macs?

My wife and I share a dslr camera. We also each have our own macbook, which means we have separate photo libraries (she's on iPhoto, and I'm still on Picasa, but will probably switch back to iPhoto soon). Many photos (and videos) from the shared camera end up on both macs, since we don't coordinate at all.. we both just import them whenever we think of it. All those duplicates are obviously a big waste of disk space, and this is becoming a problem as my mac disk is now almost 80% full.

I'd consider a NAS setup, but then i wouldn't have access to those files when i'm not at home (and i'm unclear how to easily backup a NAS, as I do my mac - to Time Machine, Crash Plan, and a weekly Carbon Copy Cloner).

I wish I could scan both our photo libraries (though again, I'm still using Picasa not iPhoto), to find all duplicates. Then I could delete all photos on my mac that are also on her mac, to reclaim a ton of space on my disk. Any way to do this?

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 10:32 AM

In a word, No.

Get all the photos onto one machine and you have some chance - even better into one application to manage them. Other than that, forget about it.

For instance, you can merge two iphoto libraries with iPhoto Library Manager and this process can be set to avoid duplicates.

1 reply

Find duplicate photos across two macs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.