Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get an RMA for a failed disk?

I have a Mac Pro with 4x WD Caviar Black drives, which have a manufacturer's 5-year warranty. The drives are only two years old. I registered the drives with WD and tried to open an RMA case for one which failed this morning. Apparently I cannot RMA a disk to WD which fails in an Apple computer, and I cannot find any way to get this drive RMA-ed with Apple unless I buy "support."

Can anyone tell me how I can get satisfaction on this expensive drive's warranty?

H.

Mac Pro (Mid 2010), Mac OS X (10.7.2), 8-core Xeon, 16G ECC RAM, 0+1 RAID

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 12:59 PM

8 replies

Jul 22, 2012 1:11 PM in response to Kappy

I've been all over the online support site and cannot find any help at all from Apple. The drives came in the Mac when I bought it. It appears that I have to pay for a support incident to talk to anyone.

To clarify: the first thing I did when the drive failed is go to WD's site and try to get an RMA for it - since expensive drives like this one have 5-year manufacturer warranties. WD's response is that the drive's warranty has to be serviced by Apple since the drives were sold to Apple. But trying to get them serviced by Apple seems to require a support contract. Which is lame for a product that has a 5-year manufacturer's warranty to begin with - can't imagine why I would expect to give up my right to service under that 5-year warranty just because I bought the computer from Apple.

H.

Jul 22, 2012 1:56 PM in response to hoppah

Has nothing to do - others with WD Black drives, not Apple sold - RMA just fine and quickly.

I would never ever buy drives from Apple unless they were to be used with the Apple Pro RAID card (which I don't recommend or advise buying), maybe SAS where you need a controller.

And Apple I thought only had 1 yr warranty on drives, another reason to avoid. And the price for one drive is what you would get for three (last October thru Dec being abnormal prices due to flooding in Asia).

Right now Amazon $109 for WD Black 1TB.

I buy a lot of drives from Amazon, none have ever been what Tom's calls "OEM" and of course that article though only 3 yrs old - Newegg probably more likely to find OEM.

Jul 23, 2012 3:40 PM in response to The hatter

Indeed. Frankly, the RAID card is an embarrassment. It's almost as bad as Apple not supporting Blu-ray. I took it on faith when I ordered my Pro that a nearly $1k RAID card would be, as is true with most Apple products, a state-of-the-art device. What I got was something that didn't even have the features of the integrated hardware RAID on my 7-year old PC's motherboard. And the design is terrible. The card is tucked up directly under the drives it runs with no ability to relocate it to a lower slot, so that the heat sinks are mere millimeters from the bottoms of the hard disks. The card is so high up that it gets basically no airflow from the slot cage fan. As a result, I'm certain that the heat from one of the chips trashed the disk in question. After I let it cool down the drive came "back to life" and it's being rebuilt (which was also an effort to trigger).

Anyway, the whole thing *****. No more trust for this stuff, from now on I'm going to research Apple hardware as fully - if not more so - as I do PC hardware.

H.

P.S. sorry about the asterisks, apparently Apple censors the word that starts with an "S" and ends in "ucks", for what reason one can only speculate.

Message was edited by: hoppah

How do I get an RMA for a failed disk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.