Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot edit my incoming mail server name under iCloud

This morning my iCloud email stopped working. When I open the Mail preferences panel and look at the iCloud account, the Incoming Mail Server is listed as "mail.example.com" and is greyed out. I cannot edit this entry to the proper iCloud server name. I can edit my user name and password, but when I try to save changes it tells me that I cannot leave the Incoming Mail Server name blank. Which wouldn't be a problem if I could, you know, change it.

This just started this morning. I noticed that Mail was asking me for passwords that have been in my Keychain for ages, and I had to manually enter them all to get to my email.

My account is working on my iOS devices.

Tom

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 3:38 PM

6 replies

Aug 9, 2012 11:37 PM in response to Twclark06

Exact same here. I noticed this after changing my AppleID (same account but changed primary email address). I think all worked before but now I see the same as Twclark06. Tried to disable/re-enable Mail in the iCloud Control Panel (which doesn't always let me, and sometimes say to try again later...). Tried to remove and re-add the iCloud email acount in Mail itself. No success. The Incoming Mail Server field is buggy, it reverts itself to mail.example.com and being greyed out we can't fix it, and we get an error since it shouldn't be empty... I even get this error if the proper Incoming Mail Server is displayed (p04-imap.mail.me.com in my case).

Help!

Aug 9, 2012 11:52 PM in response to DavyFromAround

Looked around on other threads on Apple Support and found a solution that worked for me.

- Delete your iCloud account in Mail Preferences, Account tab.

- Click "+" to add an account

- Fill in your iCloud name-address-password, then hold Option key down, then click 'Continue'. Holding Option down takes you to a screen you normally don't see!

- Change the incoming Mail Server from 'mail.me.com' to 'imap.mail.me.com'

- Proceed creating your account.

Try!

I cannot edit my incoming mail server name under iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.