Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import into Imovie

Hi everyone,

I have been trying to import a short video into Imovie. The original video file is wmv. I have used a free conversion software called "Any Video Converter'. As the video I am trying to create is a sort of medey of several videos, I remember importing one short video successfully before but I cannoy remember which format it was in. Obviously it was a format that Imovie accepts.

I have tried importing the following common video formats, all failed: flv, mov, mp4, mpg, avi

Any video converter does not offer any other formats to convert to.

What can I do now.

Please help.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 6:44 PM

6 replies

Jul 23, 2012 10:14 AM in response to michaelv03

Hi

all failed: flv, mov, mp4, mpg, avi

Non of these are any Video Codecs - they are all containers and can hold Codecs iMovie can use - OR NOT

Open one with QuickTime Player and then open Inspector [cmd+I] and read

Video Format/Codec: nnnnnnnnnnnn

Frame rate: yyyyfps

What does they say.

I use - StreamingDV - and this Codec works in iMovie alt is - AIC (Apple Interchangably Codec)

Yours Bengt W

Jul 23, 2012 3:11 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi Bengt,

Thanks for your reply. As requested, I have opened one. I opened an mpeg one and it said:

Format: mpeg1 muxed

it does not say frame rate, only

FPS: 29.97

Data rate:1.296.54 kbit/s

I used to have no problems importing video files, but this time inn 3 days of trying I have not been able to import even one, regardless of what 'container' the video was in. I don't get why this is so very difficult.

Especially since I tried a video converter and even when converting to other containers or formats, nothing works whatsoever. I thought that the extension after the dot is the format! for example .mov etc

Mike

Can't import into Imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.